Sunday, May 1, 2022

Guest Who: Daddy's Boy

I must have actually had a life in 1988 because I never, ever watched Superboy, though I'd been a childhood and teenage comic book fan and Superboy and the Legion of Superheroes was my very favorite title. The series Superboy premiered in '88 (on the heels of four Superman movies and one Supergirl one.)  The initial order of 13 episodes were not very ambitious or particularly well made, but once the show was picked up, the quality allegedly increased (though the cast and concept would be tinkered with repeatedly across the four seasons it ran before some legal entanglements with regard to the rights led to its demise.) 

Relax, fellas! That's an athletic cup that's turning this promotional photo into almost a 3-D event. Ha!
 

The title character was essayed by a pretty young man named John Haymes Newton (at a time when three-name actors were a big "thing.") In truth, the show focused in the early days more on college student Clark Kent who would only become Superboy for a certain period of time within the 30-minute series. After season one, Haymes was let go (either because of a DUI that violated his morals clause or just plain dissatisfaction from the producers in his performance.) He did continue working after that career ding with a role in the movie Alive (1993) and on shows like The Untouchables and Melrose Place.  He has since receded from on-screen work since 2016.

Also on hand several times that first season was Scott Wells as Superboy's nemesis Lex Luthor. This was prior to the character being adversely affected by an accident involving the boy of steel and his growing up to be a master criminal. Here, he was a rich kid with toys like (gasp!) a cordless phone.

When school newspaper reporter Newton goes to meet up with Wells, this is the location we find him in!

 
He's soaking in the hot tub with a quartet of Aussie-Spritz-abusing tarts.

As he exits the water, there's an attendant (Michael Manno) sporting a zebra-striped Speedo (!) whose job is to get dry him off!
 
You know I was all over this, as a "Speed(o) Freak" from way back. Of course, by 1988, the suit was generally used for comic or character effect rather than as the suit of choice it had been a decade or so prior.

Curiously, as the men go to sit down at a nearby table, the screen is completely filled by a close-up of Manno's frontage until his slinks into his seat!

Regardless of the music-video-esque chicks in the hot tub, there is a homoerotic aura to this sequence. Only thing is, Manno ought to have been downing a banana instead of an apple...! Ha ha!

When Wells gets up to take another call on that portable phone (!), Manno is tasked with following him around with an umbrella to protect his boss from the sun. Apart from one appearance on Burt Reynold's B.L. Stryker, Manno only ever did several episodes of Superboy on screen.

The semi self-conscious actor held this umbrella in front of his crotch for most of this sequence, but I did the best I could to catch a shot of him.

Wells (of Dayton, Ohio) had been a male stripper in San Antonio, Texas who segued into modeling and then bit part TV work. This ought to have represented a break for him.

However, after not being asked back for the second season, he faded from view and, sadly, entered a rehab center for substance abuse. (Even more sadly, he died in 2015 at only 54, long out of the biz and back home in Dayton.)

By now you may rightly be asking, "What the hell does any of this have to do with the title of this post?!" Well, I wanted to offer up an appetizer of a little beauty, a little beefcake and a little bump or bulge before serving up the main course. In this shot, we see Newton (along with his regular cohorts at school on the far left and far right) chatting with a young man in jeans.

Anyone know who he is?

The young actor is the son of a very famous television icon, who enjoyed longstanding success on the tube. This fellow, however, only made this sole appearance in a project that didn't somehow involve his father. He plays a character named "Stretch" who is the star of the basketball team.

I do not know how tall he was, but he is just about the shortest person on the team, so (even though it's not meant to be) the nickname "Stretch" is ironic!

If the blond is "Stretch," then what is the other guy's nickname on the far left?!

Ah... "Shirts 'n Skins" - those words that could make me run from gym class to, well, anywhere else on Earth! But I should mention... This young man really does not look any thing like his father. He mostly took after his mother. But... it's on the basketball court that a certain family resemblance begins to rear its, er, head.

This is one Michael Landon Jr.! All of his other acting work had been on either Little House on the Prairie or in projects stemming from Bonanza.

His father was a world-famous television personality, but he mostly took after his mother, Lynn.

The tow-headed youth is seen here just above his mother's hair.

Speaking of hair, this episode (which concerns Wells blackmailing Landon into throwing the big game) is chock full of every example of late-'80s mall hair. In the top-left corner is a cone-shaped accessory while the infamous banana-clip can he seen in the lower-right corner. And Manno's de rigueur bi-level/mullet is right at home here, too.

Ultimately, Superboy has to step in to save the win and even winds up refereeing the match!

Marvel as the Boy of Steel flies from one end of the court to another as he officiates the game!

Anyhoo... back to the thrust of this post.

Young Landon never made a fraction of the impression as an actor that his papa did, but he does leave one in his basketball shorts. (And it would take uniforms like these to make a comeback in order for me to watch a basketball game today...!) Fortunately, Landon Jr. proceeded to a very successful and award-winning career in inspirational programming (with titles like Love's Enduring Promise, Love's Unfolding Dream, When Hope Calls and When Calls the Heart.)

The End!

9 comments:

Shawny said...

There was a lotta haar on them Landon's. And it looks like Micheal didn't pass down much to his son, except maybe some more haar.

hsc said...

I remember seeing articles about SUPERBOY and the shift in casting (like SHAZAM!) that occurred, but I don't think it ever ran in my area at a time I could've been watching. I thought both actors who played the role (Gerard Christopher was the other) were attractive and reasonable well-cast looks-wise, but not enough to track this series down.

I have to admit the title of this "Guest Who" post at first made me think either Manno or Wells was going to be revealed as the long-time "boy toy" of some older gay big-name celeb-- hence "Daddy's Boy."

Then when you switched the focus to the blond, I was trying to pick up on a physical resemblance that wasn't there. I knew Robert Conrad had two sons that appeared in his later TV projects, one of them a blond, but I didn't remember him looking quite like that facially.

The photo of the dark-haired older man (the coach, I guess?) with his arm around the blond made me briefly wonder if Jerry Mathers of "Leave It to Beaver" fame had a son who tried to break into the business. (There was a vague resemblance around the blond's mouth that suggested Mathers as "the Beav," and the coach looked somewhat like the adult Mathers, who had returned to acting around this time.)

But then you said the blond didn't resemble his famous father at all-- except in *one* area.

Which meant: someone who at least had the same last name, and likely a "Jr." (since you were able to connect him without a general physical resemblance), who was appearing in some of Dad's projects-- and with a famously well-endowed Dad.

So I immediately started to mentally run through your "bulge" posts for someone who would've been likely. Unfortunately, I hadn't made a guess by the time you revealed it was Michael Landon, Jr.

But hey, still lots of fun trying to guess! And the heavy dose of beefcake and late '80s fried hairdos was even more fun!

Thanks for another great post! Love to everyone and be well and safe!

F. Nomen said...

Manno drying off Wells puts me in mind of some sort of “Sale of the Century After Dark” scenario.

Poseidon3 said...

hsc, did you know that Gerard Christopher auditioned for and won the role of Superman in "The Adventures of Lois and Clark" but once the producers realized that he'd previously been doing Superboy, they replaced him with Dean Cain because they wanted someone new and fresh! I didn't give anyone much of a look at the coach, but that was James Hampton, a busy character actor and close pal of Burt Reynolds. I guess I'm a little hyper-aware of such things nowadays, but it struck me how their hairy legs were pressed up against one-another on the bleachers...! Perhaps just a result of man-spreading. LOL

F. Nomen --> "Manno drying off Wells puts me in mind of some sort of “Sale of the Century After Dark” scenario." I died.....!! HYSTERICAL!! And for anyone not aware about SOTC:

https://neptsdepths.blogspot.com/2014/09/no-need-to-convince-me-im-sold.html

Dan said...

Yeah, the 80’s were a great decade for me (sigh), so not a lot of TV viewing - but this is the kind of show I would have avoided like scabies. Ah, the horrors of gym class! On PE day, I would put my forehead on the radiator to try to fake a temperature so I’d have to stay home sick. Only worked in winter, and didn’t work then.
Landon Jr reminds me a bit of that kid from “Sixth Sense”.
Sure do miss the days when men weren’t hesitant about putting their best foot (or thereabouts) forward in form fitting pants and skimpy gym shorts and bathing costumes. And why does Santa never bring me a cabana boy?

A said...

Yeah, I never watched Superboy either, but then I didn't know about Michael Manno.

Thanks for another great post, Poseidon!

Poseidon3 said...

Dan, poor thing with the radiator... But I get it! The only gym day I ever enjoyed was when we had a huge parachute that we'd flail upwards and then run under it from one side to the other. I recently made someone pee because a gal I know had a huge, filmy, chiffon drape over her outfit and when she sat down abruptly, it wafted in the air for a moment. I said, "Oh... that reminds me of grade school gym class with the parachute!" :-o

A, Glad you enjoyed checking out this post. ;-)

Gingerguy said...

I know what you mean about 1988, wherever I was, it wasn't in front of a tv set. This show looks kind of low budget and meant for the teen and tween set. I thought Lois and Clark with Teri Hatcher was the first tv show to capitalize on the movies, which came from tv to begin with. The guys are all kind of forgettable but kind of love the speedo and all the hair. Sad to hear the rehab story but nice that Michael Landon's son had a career. I see ads for that Hallmark show all the time. Superboy should have been a lot gayer with a name like that

Poseidon3 said...

Gingerguy, this show had a very complicated life it seems. After I was done with the post, I watched two different YT recaps of it and all the various permutations and cast shakeups it went through. Who knew... It was out of circulation for some time, so we haven't had a chance to revisit it and see what it was all about (till not too long ago.) I was never much into "Lois & Clark," though I did think Dean Cain was pretty dreamy. I tried to get into it when it first came on because I was still a fan of "The Colbys" and Tracy Scoggins was in the cast, but it just didn't do it for me. And, it should come as NO surprise, but when I was a young'n and considering a career in performing, I had my stage name all picked out. I will reveal it here to you and the world for the first time: John Gibson Warner!! LOL So.... Yeah... Daddy always said that an ounce of pretense is worth a pound of manure.