Monday, April 10, 2023

Hooray for Hollywood? Volume 3

Back by popular demand (not!), we revisit this tome which is filled with quotes from famous performers and craftsmen who spent time in Tinseltown. Things have reached a frenzied pace here in The Underworld and posts of this sort allow me to put something apropos out there while I attempt to regroup. We'll be back asap with more classic show biz fun and frolic!

"I felt that Hollywood was wonderful, and I couldn't in any way complain because I had a wonderful time, and people seemed to like me, and I hope we made some good pictures. But I just wanted to do something more realistic, and when I saw Open City (1945) I realized somewhere in the world they did a different kind of picture, and I left." - Ingrid Bergman, 1980. (Bergman's fateful decision to make Stromboli, 1950, in Italy with Roberto Rossellini led to their affair, marriage, three children and nearly global ostracism for several years!)

"Hollywood was an experience I wouldn't have missed. In those days, just after the war, "Glamour" was the magic word. Everything had to be geared to what the producers thought the public imagined was the perfect romantic male, or ideal woman of perfection. If one of your eyebrows didn't match the other it had to be made identical. If your mouth was crooked, that had to be made straight. If you had no bust, they gave you one. Rotten teeth-they whipped them out." - Ann Todd, 1980. (Todd wed famed director David Lean not long after Alfred Hitchcock's The Paradine Case, 1947, and appeared in three of his less-famous movies.)

"Hollywood is very much like a streetcar. Once a new star us made and comes aboard, an old one is edged out of the rear exit. There's room for only so many and no more." - Cary Grant, 1983. (Mr. Grant was one of those rare older stars who remained in demand long after he exited the biz in 1966, but he resisted all offers, preferring that filmgoers remembered him the way he was in his prime.)

"What do I dislike most? Hollywood! For years I bummed around trying to get a job. It was the same old story. My voice was too soft; my teeth needed capping; I squinted too much. I was too tall. And I know that if I walked into a casting office right now and no one knew I was Clint Eastwood, I would get the same old treatment. Everything they said was wrong is still here." - Clint Eastwood, 1983. (Eastwood, who emerged as an important director along with his acting career, soared to real fame when he made a trio of Italian westerns which became international smashes.)

"I still find things to get angry about. Sometimes, I think I'm back in 1940s Hollywood and the studio system still prevails. And so as soon as I finish working, I take off. Let them try and find me." - Debra Winger, 1983. (Following a period of hits like Urban Cowboy, 1980, An Officer and a Gentleman, 1982, and Terms of Endearment, 1983, among others, Winger really did take off, meaning she left acting from about 1995 to 2001. And she kept a low profile, too, for much of the time. A documentary was even released in 2002 called Searching for Debra Winger, regarding the pressures actresses face in an esoteric business. Winger was pretty active again on TV from 2017 to 2021.) 

"In Hollywood, actors learn to act from watching television. In New York, people learn to act by walking down the street." - Sidney Lumet, 1980s. (Having been Oscar-nominated for directing 12 Angry Men, 1957, Dog Day Afternoon, 1975, Network, 1976, and The Verdict, 1982, as well as for co-writing Prince of the City, 1981, Lumet received an honorary statuette in 2005 for his body of work.)

"I made many films with Joan Crawford... One day, Clarence Brown, the director, asked me to do a test of Crawford. I did and they liked it, so I began our association by photographing her in Chained (1934) - which costarred Clark Gable, who was a fantastic human being with this great animal quality that exploded off the screen. The key to how to photograph Joan came while they were rehearsing a boat scene with her for Chained. Inadvertently, a light high up in the rafters came down and had lit her face. She looked gorgeous. I said that's how we're going to shoot her. When she saw the film she fell down - she hadn't looked that good in years. We used that philosophy of lighting from then on in all our films together throughout the 1930s." - cinematographer George J. Folsey, 1984 (Mr. Folsey was an amazing artist, nominated 13 times for the Oscar, but never winning.)

"Hollywood is the loneliest place I have ever lived in. Never in my life have I been so lonely nor stayed home so much. When I first came, I did not think I could stand it-I would not have stood it if I had not had my work." - Marlene Dietrich, 1930s. (Los Angeles was likely quite a contrast from the very compact and crowded Berlin, though I suspect she eventually found ways to pass the time - in the company of others!)

"Into the community that lives and thinks film pictures I arrived, prepared to work very hard to succeed. I liked Hollywood. I like breathing space. I like green things growing around me. There isn't the feeling here of millions of people huddled together." - Ronald Coleman, 1935. (In contrast to Ms. Dietrich, Coleman seemed to relish the contrast from a bustling city atmosphere to the more laid back surroundings of California.)

"In Hollywood, everyone's home seems to be a sort of personal wish-fulfillment. The buildings are made in the Spanish manner, the New England or English farmhouse style, the Tudor colonial or in what Charles (Laughton) and I call Late Marzipan. Naturally, there are lovely houses, but on the whole the designs are not in harmony with each other. Only a few people seem to have taken a peep at the blue sky and decided how life should be lived underneath it. One feels it is all rather like a film set, or perhaps made of icing sugar." - Elsa Lanchester, 1938. (Apart from her famous role in The Bride of Frankenstein, 1935, Lanchester is likely familiar for a series of dotty middle-aged ladies, but in her youth she was an unconventional dancer and even a nude figure model.)

"Hollywood has everything that God has to offer. Beautiful surroundings and a beautiful climate. In Hollywood there are are no daily obstacles such as people everywhere else in the world have - the obstacles of bad weather, difficult transportation to work, sharp changes of season. Hollywood also permits you to live too comfortably. With the result that in Hollywood one vegetates." - George Sanders, 1947. (The urbane Sanders seemed to possess a low threshold for boredom. Having mastered the occupation of acting and married four times - two of them Gabor sisters! - he fulfilled a vow he'd made many years prior and committed suicide via pills at age 65.)

"There are too many pastel people - pastel characters - in Hollywood. They don't know how to portray a character because they don't know people. Some of them are just busy little people studying their lines. If they learned more about life, about people, about psychology, about acting and timing, their characterizations would be more believable. Pastel people can ruin a picture." - Robert Mitchum, 1947. (More often, Mitchum preferred to downplay any particular skillfulness or method in his acting, though he was pretty great at it.)

"Hollywood is the only community in the world where the entire population is suffering from rumortism." - Bert Lahr, quoted in a 1969 book by his son. (Mr. Lahr, legendary for his portrayal of the Lion in The Wizard of Oz, 1939, was a popular fixture on Broadway and worked on quite a few movies as well. He died during his last film, The Night They Raided Minsky's, 1968, but with the aid of some editing, a body double and a vocal dub, the greater part of his performance was able to be salvaged.)

"I can't play the games that go on in Hollywood. Who cares if my pearls are only seven millimeters when everyone else is flashing eleven millimeters? Who cares about dating the most men, or getting the best table in the restuarants? I don't fit in at all." - Janet Blair, 1972. (This quote was made to TV Guide while she was filming the short-lived TV series The Smith Family, as Henry Fonda's wife. She'd risen to fame in the 1940s with movies such as My Sister Eileen, 1942, and Tonight and Every Night, 1945. She retired after a 1991 appearance on Murder, She Wrote, passing away in 2007 at age 85 of pneumonia.)

"Hollywood: it only ran on one track, and that track was the motion picture. Any and everyone was obsessed with movies. All you ever heard wherever you went were words such as grosses, below-the-line, above-the-line, percentages, negative costs, reruns, spin-offs and scarcely a word to indicate anything at all was happening in the real world other than the making of movies." - Sophia Loren, 1979. (This was the year her autobiography was published and she made the rounds to promote it. Now 88, she still performs occasionally.)

7 comments:

joel65913 said...

A fun collection as always Poseidon! Funny how one place can be such a different experience for each person.

Ingrid had such a relaxed worldview that I'm not surprised she had a positive memory of Hollywood and the States despite all the craziness they put her through. Some of the films she made with Rossellini are terrific, I especially like Fear, but I barely made it through Stromboli awake.

I think part of Cary Grant's enduring appeal during his lifetime was his decision to bow out before the parade passed him by. I can't see him being content to happily slide into being a supporting actor. True he was supporting in Walk, Don't Run but in reality it was the star spot and his sort of film was going out of fashion.

I think Debra Winger is a wonderful actress but she ALWAYS comes across as so thorny and negative about the business in interviews it isn't the least surprising that she walked away. Frankly I'm more surprised that she came back.

Great pictures of Joan and Marlene who obviously held very opposing views of the town they worked in. But both were bone deep survivors who managed to resurrect their careers time and again.

I wonder if Ronald Colman would feel the same way about the crowded somewhat shabby Hollywood and L.A. of today as he did back then? He was another like Cary who was canny enough to know when it was time to exit the stage.

I read a bio of George Sanders, he was a complex, at times disagreeable and snobby person who seemed to live within a lonely shell but a tremendous actor.

That Bob Mitchum, a straight shooter if ever there was one.

The Smith Family was where I discovered Janet Blair (and I think Darleen Carr too). My family were faithful viewers of it and sorry to see it only last a short time. It wasn't until years later I saw her earlier work and wondered why she didn't go further. Reading her quote I see why not!

Sophia Loren was such a power in both Hollywood and international cinema she was one of the few who could blow town when that insulated narrow view got to be too much and not suffer any damage to her career.

David Kenilworth said...

And for some comic relief:

"Take Fountain"

It’s a quote from the actress Bette Davis. When asked what the best way is for a young starlet to get into Hollywood, she answered “Take Fountain.”

Driving on Fountain Avenue rather than Sunset, Hollywood, or Santa Monica Boulevards is a well known shortcut through the Hollywood neighborhood of Los Angeles.

hsc said...

I was surprised to see such a negative attitude about the business in Debra Winger's quote. She's one of those performers that I had seen throughout the years-- starting with her appearance on WONDER WOMAN as younger sister Drusilla/Wonder Girl-- but had never read an interview with.

For some reason, I thought the documentary SEARCHING FOR DEBRA WINGER drew its title from the well-known problem that actresses "age out" of the business and become unemployable, while actors are still allowed to be romantic leads paired with much-younger partners even when it's downright off-putting to watch.



I found the Clint Eastwood quote amusing, because he left out one of the criticisms he faced in his pre-fame days.

Burt Reynolds had a great anecdote in a TV appearance where he said that at the start of his career, he and Eastwood were called into the office at Universal to discuss renewal of their contracts, and were told both were being dropped.

Reynolds said the guy at the desk told Eastwood, "Your voice is all wrong, and your Adam's apple is huge and sticks out way too far." Then the guy at the desk pointed at Reynolds and snorted, "And you? You can't act!"

Reynolds said that as he and Eastwood staggered out dejected, he turned to Eastwood and said, "Well, at least *I'm* going to be able to learn to act. But *you're* never going to get rid of that damn Adam's apple!"



Glad to see another great post from you Poseidon! Hope things get under control and ease up soon! Thanks for all you do! Love to all and be safe and well, everyone!

Dan said...

I guess the takeaway here is that the movie industry, like so many jobs, is what you make it.
That photo of Ann Todd looks so much like Garbo, couldn’t have been coincidence.
The early criticism of Eastwood’s looks is funny, considering how drop dead sexy (in my opinion) he was back then.
It is interesting how lighting was such a big factor in creating certain looks. I recall reading that Dietrich was especially particular, and was said to know more about effective lighting than many of the crew.

Poseidon3 said...

Joel, it is funny how that works, but I think we all have varied takeaways from, well, almost any place depending on our own tastes and experiences. ;-) I have to confess that I have yet to see any of Bergman's movies with her husband. Maybe sometime. I bet Ray Milland was pleased as punch that there was no longer an acting Cary Grant! Ha ha! And I'm sure, as you say, that Ronald Coleman would not be at all pleased with the HW of today... I love Mitchum's fearlessness to say and do as he pleased! Thanks for all your insight and remarks.

David, that is hilarious! Love it.

hsc, you may be perfectly correct about the documentary and its contents. I never watched it. But a capsule summary did mention it being about the pressures put upon actresses -- and being aged out certainly seems like a pressurized situation to me! It also explains a lot of the horrid cosmetic procedures that are undergone in order to freeze-dry one's self at a certain look. I LOVE that tale from Burt Reynolds. Interesting that Clint was bestowed with FOUR Oscars, yet none of them for acting, per se. He got one acting nomination in all these decades. And, so did Burt, but that was all. So in that respect, Clint came out on top. Burt sure did make a lot of moviegoers happy in his own right, though. Thanks much!

Dan, that pic of Ann Todd was (I'm pretty sure) from 1947 (I tried to do that with many of these posts - put a photo from the year it was said) and Garbo was out of the biz for a while by then. But I see what you mean. And God knows that the studios used to want to keep making people over into new versions of earlier performers! Dietrich was apparently an absolute marvel at knowing the lighting. Crawford, too, after a time. But I think it might have been Dietrich who KNEW if one bulb was out up in the rafters and could also tell by the heat! Thank you.

Gingerguy said...

All of it so interesting. I honed in on Ann Todd, she's one of my favorite Actresses. Such an odd, still quality. Her comments were in character with my impression. I loved all of this. For some crazy reason my work computer won't connect to this website. , firewall? So crazy and annoying.

Poseidon3 said...

Gingerguy, I've had that issue with some sites on my work PC and it is SO annoying... somehow an innocuous site gets flagged in a way that prevents me from going to it. Sometimes after a system/browser update, access will be restored. I had a bit of an annoyance a few weeks ago when some idiotic shitstain felt the need to flag some of my posts as containing "adult content" which would require a message beforehand. But, get this... not on the bulge, shower or tub posts, as one could perhaps expect. It was on my posts regarding Donna Mills and VIRGINIA GRAHAM!!! Stupid. I got them fixed.