Wednesday, September 2, 2020

11th Anniversary "Celeb"ration! 1, 2, 3 & 4

Yes, chickens, P.U. (what's that stench?! ha ha!) has recently turned 11 and in honor of the occasion, we're relaying that same number of celebrity encounters in what we believe to be chronological order. As an only child of the '70s, television and old movies often became my closest friends for better or worse. As a result, I came to regard the faces I viewed on-screen as idols and icons worthy of tribute (whether they truly deserved it or not!) I'm happy to say that I have not yet had a celebrity encounter in which I left the meeting less happy with the person that I was when I arrived. On the contrary, most of the people enhanced my opinion of them quite a bit.

As a teen, working the drive-thru at a local Wendy's, I had aspirations of being a journalist. I all but worshiped a local newscaster who I watched on TV at every opportunity. Once, he came through the drive-thru and as he was awaiting his order, I asked him for an autograph - I had pen and paper on-hand - and he curtly declined, brushing me off with the excuse that he didn't have time. (I should have made damned sure he GOT the time by delaying his order!) That bruising experience by a self-important nobody who few people can recall now was, fortunately, my only such encounter. Never again, to date, have a run across anyone famous who wasn't charming and gracious, thank God.

The first time I ever met an real, honest to goodness, famous personality was in the late-1980s. By that time I was a waiter at Red Lobster, which was located across the street and up slightly from a Moore's Nautilus fitness center. (The very concept of fitness - or even a gym - was completely counter to my existence on Earth at the time! It wasn't until 1992 that I first set foot in one, apart from childhood visits to the YMCA for swimming.) A series of commercials were being filmed there featuring a two-time Mr. Universe, who'd proceeded to the title role on a popular television series.

Yes, The Incredible Hulk himself, Lou Ferrigno was in the neigh- borhood and hungry after a long day of filming. The large entourage came into our close-by restaurant on their dinner break. Ferrigno was personable and good-natured though there was a bit of a wait in order to accommodate a party as large as theirs was. I had not actually ever seen very much of the show as it was not the sort of program I was drawn to at the time. (Not glitzy enough, truth be told! And it really wasn't very close to the comic conception of the character - more like a sci-fi update of The Fugitive, as I would learn later on.) Still, it was neat to be in the presence of a highly-known figure.

There was grumbling amidst some of the staff at the time that Ferrigno's wife Carla was a bit abrasive and demanding and not at all receptive to the notion that they could not be seated immediately and somewhere private (!), though I do have to say that as his manager she likely had a lot on her shoulders at that moment, trying to look out for his best interests and juggle all the details of a commercial shoot. Ferrigno and she wed in 1980 and are together still today, so that's quite an accomplishment in their business.

My first encounter with a famous actor in which I got to do more than just briefly nod hello happened in the spring of 1989. I had attended Northern Kentucky University for three years, majoring in Radio, Television & Film, before abandoning that notion in favor of pursuing a career in restaurant management. Before I left NKU, I appeared in one of their stage productions, "The Mikado" (not one you're likely to see much of these days, but it was utterly delightful!), so I was familiar with the theatre department. They had a yearly festival of new material and this time managed to land a guest actor who was quite well known to me.

How I managed to hold on to this clipping through five different apartments and now my house is a complete mystery to me, but I did! I guess I just thought it was special enough a moment to keep a memento of. Mark Lenard was brought in to star in a play called "The Beast."

At the time of this performance, Lenard had been making supporting appearances in several of the big-screen series of Star Trek movies. I knew him from his roles on the original Star Trek in which he'd played, first, a Romulan and then, most memorably, Mr. Spock's father Sarek. I'd also grown up watching afternoon reruns of Here Come the Brides, on which he played the chief antagonist.

Knowing he was likely to be there one afternoon for rehearsal, a friend and I brazenly went to the campus, headed to the main stage and waltzed right onto the premises without invitation or warning! I marvel now at how matter-of-factly we just showed up and expected to see and meet Mr. Lenard! And you know what? We did. We stood in the wings until a break occurred, then introduced ourselves (!) and proceeded to speak to him about our affection and admiration for him and his work. He couldn't possibly have been any more genial, appreciative of our interest or patient with our incoherent ramblings.

Lenard had appeared as a guest on countless TV series over the years and was a familiar face. He was also a regular on the short-lived TV series Planet of the Apes as General Urko. I was petrified of him as a child and somehow wound up with the Mego action figure of this character, which also scared me. LOL I never played with that one at night...!

After a 6-year absence, I began to work on stage again and that second occasion caused the acting bug to sting me badly. I took up a strong interest in theatre and my step-mother (in one of the few thoughtful things she ever did!) would occasionally arrange tickets for the family to attend touring musical productions. (It was through this that I was able to hear Robert Goulet sing Emile De Becque in "South Pacific" in person and it was stunning.) Along about 1995 or so, the Broadway revival of "Grease" came to town. Rex Smith had starred in it in NYC, but departed the tour at a certain point to take his place beside Diahann Carroll in the Canadian production of "Sunset Blvd." Thus, the big name by the time we saw it was one Brooke Shields as Rizzo. Also on board was Sally Struthers as Miss Lynch.

Additionally, the small but flashy role of disc jockey and dance MC Vince Fontaine was portrayed by onetime Monkee Davy Jones. Now Brooke was all right and Sally was fun (though she would be put to much better use a few years later as Miss Hannigan in a tour of "Annie"), but we were in some serious nosebleed seats at an extremely old, if grand, theater. So without benefit of binoculars, they were merely colorful ants on stage. The seats themselves were tiny (and I was reed slim at the time - a rare occasion in itself!) so at Intermission many people rose and went out into the stairway to stretch their legs. For some insane reason, we basically stayed put, even though doing so almost meant that our heads touched the ceiling when we stood up.
Much to my astonishment, in through the entrance door came Davy Jones! No worries of his head hitting the ceiling. He was excitedly greeting everyone he encountered and handing out signed photos, much like the one seen here. I could hardly believe that he took the trouble to use Intermission as an opportunity to climb all the way up to the cheap seats to thank and greet the viewers there! He was very animated and friendly. We had no camera, never expecting to come upon the teen idol of millions (or anyone else of note!) but it was fun to get to meet him. I, who always cling to anything I'm given that is showbiz related, later made a rare gesture of kindness and bestowed that autographed photo to a chef at the country club where I worked who had always idolized Jones. She was ecstatic to receive the hand-signed photo.

Now in this next (and last) section, I am going to use an abridged version of a very lengthy e-mail I sent out to friends and family in those days (October, 2002) before you could recount things to the masses on Facebook or a blog. It details a highly memorable encounter with one Richard Simmons, who'd come to town for a Women's Health Expo (held in a huge empty mall) that a female friend hornswaggled me into attending with her. I have used his workout videos off and on for years.  Though I find him to be an odd duck, he is so infectiously motivational and inspirational and committed to what he does, I can't help but like him.  And I enjoy his tapes because no matter how bad I've let myself go, I'm always more fit and attractive than the bulk of the people on the videos!
A probably now-forgotten project with the parents of famous performers!
We went to the area where he was supposed to be.  It was crowded and there was hubbub near a door that had a black curtain over it.  So we went over there and took turns saying such revelations as "I see his hair!", "I saw him tying his shoe!" and "He's wearing red with sparklies on it!"  It was a sort of VIP room with lots of misfits coming in and out and getting to pose with him for pictures, etc...  I had brought my camera and a video of his to sign if I got the chance.  Not too much later, he came bursting out and onto the stage. (The shot of him in the inset was taken by me.) We got in the back of the crowd (of probably an easy 150 people just on the floor, if not more, and many surrounding and above us) and watched as he got everyone riled up.  All the chairs had been cleared away and everyone was encouraged to spread out and get ready to sweat. 
   
He took a load of people up on stage to workout behind him.  I hadn't raised my hand as I didn't really want to be up there sweating and bending and plopping around in front of a crowd of probably 300 or more.  Then for his first routine, he asked a black guy with a white derby to come up and workout next to him.  The closet doors were basically ripped off when Richard said, "That li'l white hat is turnin' me ON!"   The guy proceeded to steal the spotlight with a series of gyrations, button ripping shirt openings and so on.  So Richard.....to regain focus....yanked his shorts down to his ankles (!) revealing a pair of 10 year-old boy tighty-whitey underpants!  So we got into the spirit and began to workout with the crowd.  It was a fun time and we were both working up a good sweat.  He did many routines to all sorts of popular and oldies music. 

Then........it happened.  He looked out into the expanse of the crowd and pointed my way and said, "YOU!  In the white t-shirt!  Get up here!!"  A lady two rows in front of me started to take her purse off her shoulder and go up to him.  He said (in his trademark brash voice), "NO!  Not YOU!!   HIM!!," pointing at me!!!!!!  Needless to say I was flabbergasted, but I had to obey orders!  I went up to the stage and he jumped in the arms of a big guy all in black who was on the other side of him.  I was terrified he would do the same to me, so I made the sign of the cross and backed up.  This got a laugh.  Then "Jump" by The Pointer Sisters came on and we were on our way with the workout.  I struggled to stay in time and on the right feet as Vickie dutifully snapped pictures of me on stage next to Richard Simmons!!  At one point, he got flirty, so I jokingly went all the way to the farthest edge of the stage.  Then when he acted sort of faux hurt or bemused, I turned and did my best Olivia Newton-John "Grease" walk towards him which tore up the crowd again!  Before long, my little moment in the sun was over and I (soaked from head to toe) went back into the throng. 

Afterwards, we got in line to meet him in person.  It was like a Beatles concert, with frantic pushing, shoving, cutting line...! When I FINALLY made it to the man, I said, "People have no manners at all!  They are so excited to see you they'll do anything to get to you!" and he said, "Hey! It's my disco partner!"  He was extremely friendly and accommodating.  He gave us each signed 5x7's, signed our videos, posed for pictures and kissed us each twice and hugged me!

It seems whenever I meet anyone of note, I myself am at a low ebb somehow. I'm either fat, sweaty, bedraggled or a combination of all three. Whenever I'm looking my best and trimmed down, there's no one in sight! Ha ha!  I'll be back with more celebrity encounters as we mark the 11th birthday of Poseidon's Underworld.

11 comments:

Martin said...

I love reading about celebrity encounters, thanks so much for sharing, Poseidon!

I'm thrilled to read how great Richard Simmons was with you. He is too funny! I first saw him on General Hospital, back in the day when I was hooked on soaps. I thought to myself "this guy's too much for daytime TV!" I'm glad he found such success doing what he loved. I certainly hope he's still happy, holed up in his Hollywood Hills estate.

Even if one is not a fan of his, his appearance on "Whose Line Is It Anyway?" has to be seen to be believed. Hilarious doesn't even describe it.

Looking forward to your next installment!

Gingerguy said...

Hi Poseiden, fascinated by your trajectory. I would have imagined you always in theater. I am so happy you have had mostly good run ins. It's like the Lennon Sisters say, are you going to leave them better or worse after the encounter. I had a job as a waiter at a theme restaurant located next to a hotel area in New York and for a while saw a ton of them. Very surreal to be giving breakfast to Robert Plant who was the rock God of millions, but offstage or screen they are just people who eat toast and eggs. Vanessa Williams blah blah blah, I realized quickly I didn't want to meet my heroes. Judy or Barbra? no thanks! what if I hated them or they were mean? I wouldn't have anything to listen to.
I remember the Apes tv show, friday night on CBS. I love that you had the action figure, I would have made it sing to my Sisters' Barbie.
That is a fabulous Richard Simmons show and you sound like a riot as a team. I will never hear "Jump" the same way. Keep blogging for another 11 years we love it.

joel65913 said...

Wonderful memories Poseidon!!! Happy 11th Anniversary!! Here's to many, many more!

Too bad about that newscaster. But I've found that the swelled head syndrome seems to be more prevalent among minor, some microscopic, celebrities than the bigger stars who don't have as much to be insecure about. Not that there aren't some big stars that are infamous jerks but usually when you hear stories about say Brad Pitt, Dolly Parton or many others at that level the words you most often hear are gracious and considerate.

Love that you got to meet Mark Lenard! He was such a familiar face my entire childhood. My sister and I were devout Here Comes the Brides fans, she loved Bobby Sherman and I loved Joan Blondell and Biddie! They were our faves but I loved the entire cast including Aaron, who was supposed to be villainous but somehow never came across as evil since he and the Bolt boys frequently teamed up to battle the guest troublemaker....just a bit greedy.

I don't have many big celeb encounters to my credit (I've met some of our local newspeople and usually they are on the chilly side-must be an occupational thing) though I did meet Jacqueline Bisset at a film premiere-she was lovely and exuded class. But I have a friend who works as a dresser at the Shakespeare Company in DC (and before that at the DC opera) and he has regaled us with stories of different celebrities he has worked with. He loved Marsha Mason and Elizabeth Ashley (though he said she was a bit of a crazy woman but charmingly so) and most of the others who have passed through Shakespeare.....the opera was another story!

Looking forward to the next post for more!

Shawny said...

Congrats Poseidon! What an accomplishment this site is. Your writing is my favorite to read of any blog. I walk away with some key concepts today: Lou Ferrigno with Red Lobster, 8” as a selling feature on an action figure’s packaging, the term hornswaggled (which I will be using), and Richard Simmons in his tighty whities. Such life enriching material if you ask me! Thank you for your wonderful writing.

BrianB said...

At my age 10 years seems like a heartbeat so congratulations to you! What a treat to read about you and Richard! It sounds like you were in the moment when you reacted to him and did your ONJ walk! I bet the audience never expected that!

Reading this has made me think about my personal connections with celebrities and there were more than I thought.

Worst encounter: Lily Tomlin. At a book signing, (Signs of Intelligent Life in the Universe) I was so nervous about meeting her and the woman before me had a little baby and when it was her turn to have the book signed Lily was all chatty and laughing with her and the baby. My turn, Lily's handler said in a low voice, "Sign it to Brian". Lily signed the book and Never. Even. Looked at me. Shoved the book to me when she was done and turned to her handler. I mean I was SO nervous and it was like she dismissed me. Crushed.

Most charming: My friend Fred worked at the Actors Fund in NY and invited me to see Diana Rigg who was doing Medea on Broadway. The shows on Broadway apparently always do a one night benefit for the Actors Fund and this night they hosted a reception for her at Sardis before the show. So there I am at Sardis, (SARDIS!) and the first person I saw was Joyce Randolf who played Trixie in the Honeymooners in the brightest red wig imaginable! Then Fred introduced me to Ed Herlihy, the voice of Kraft Cheese who did their commercials in the 60's. It was a thrill because he was just like his commercials!

Then there was hubbub because Ruth Warrick came in! She didn't look anything like she did on TV, she'd been off the show by then (and old!) but she was shooting glamour all over the room!

Finally Diana Rigg came in wearing a brown dress with a white blazer over it, looking exactly the way she did hosting Masterpiece Theater, though pretty bland compared to her role in Evil Under The Sun! And that's when the panic set in. I could see she was working her way around the room saying hello to everyone and I realized I just couldn't do it! Stars are stars and they are way above me and we aren't supposed to mix!

So as she was making her way around the room I was moving around keeping myself ahead of her! And trying to look casual! I'm sure people were wondering what was wrong with me! Eventually we were about 10 feet apart, she talking to two guys with their backs to me. They walked away and there she stood, looking straight at me! I was just agog and she smiled and tilted her head to one side like "How are you?" and I just tried to smile back. She then turned and went on her way. But I knew she knew that I was too freaked out to have an encounter and she gave me a little private one! I'll ever forget it!

As you are no doubt aware, my responses go on way too long but my most meaningful celebrity encounter didn't even involve meeting the person, but it is one I treasure so I will send that along separately.

BrianB

Shawny said...

In the late 80s I worked at an AMC theater. Was working the concession stand. It was a very popular, new movie theater, with all the big films showing, and staggered in a way that the rush times were very long. I was in the middle of it all, having just completed an order, ready for the next as they collected their popcorn, and up next was none other than Nancy Mckeon, in big sunglasses. It caught me off guard, and I sort of froze. She knew I recognized her and immediately did the horizontal hand slash as if to say stop to me, then put her finger to her mouth ala ‘shhhh’, clearly worried I was going to make a scene. I immediately nodded my head in compliance. And she ordered a Diet Coke and a small popcorn, no butter. Not much said but that. Transaction was over very quickly, and she left. Then I took a step back in my head and thought, who the hell does she think she is? Like I was going to make a scene. I was all hands on hips, huffing in incredulity.

Poseidon3 said...

Thank you, Martin! I do recall that appearance of his on WLIIA? and he was a scream. He was always so enthusiastic (manic at times, to be truthful) and sometimes people like that experience lows as powerful as the highs. I hope he's doing well. I also used to see him on GH during the famed Luke/Laura/Scotty days.

Gingerguy, apart from that one college show, I did no theatre until I was 26! I was always something of a singer, though. Now, I prefer acting over singing...! All over the place. LOL You will (or may not!) find this hard to believe, but I deliberately avoided trying to meet Faye Dunaway when she was here on tour with "Master Class" because I couldn't trust myself not to freak out if I did. And there is always that nagging fear of a let down, too. But a close friend of mine met her in the lobby of an art house movie theater and she couldn't have been nicer according to her...! So I missed out. And, trust me, I've also never heard "Jump" the same way either.....!

Joel, I have always heard only wonderful stories about encounters with Dolly. She must really be special. The closest I ever got was having her tuned in to a local TV station awaiting a live interview and, by sheer coincidence, a feature on my production of "9 to 5: The Musical" came on beforehand and she watched a series of clips of us all. Later, we received a letter from her telling us that she'd seen many versions of the show, but ours looked to be among the best and she was sorry she couldn't be there to watch! We were agog. I'm so glad that Ms. Bisset was nice to meet. I drove all the way to Washington, DC to watch Elizabeth Ashley and hopefully meet her, but she didn't come out the stage door, sadly. At least not while we were there.

Shawny, how hilarious! Thank you! I don't consider myself a talented "writer" per se... bad punctuation and form, but I try to be entertaining if I can. What a hoot about the Greta Garbo-like Nancy McKeon!! I love your reaction to her preconceived notions of total hysteria had she been recognized. LOLOL

BrianB, that would be so disappointing to be utterly written off as just another body by Lily Tomlin. I have had my suspicions about her, especially after that lacerating tape was released of her berating the director or crew (can't even remember) on a set. I adore Diana Rigg. How neat that you got to see her up close and in person, even if limited by apprehension.

Dan said...

I have been remiss in offering my congratulations on your anniversary. I so enjoy your celeb bios. They are not just well written and informative but, even when the subject is, as my mother would have said, "a bit of a pill", you are respectful and never catty - maybe a bit kittenish, but never catty.

No celeb encounters to relate, other than a few times I was in the same room as someone, or saw them at a distance. I guess the best I can offer is the time I accidentally had my photo taken with Charlton Heston. This being DC and my hubby being a lawyer, I did attend a reception with Ginsburg, Kagan, Sotomayor, and Roberts of the Supreme Court. Shucks, I left my autograph hound at home!

Forever1267 said...

Wonderful stories! And very good imporovisation skills, too!

SonofaBuck said...

Happy anniversary, Poseidon!

I, too, am late in expressing my congratulations and appreciation for the continuing excellence of Poseidon’s Underworld. As I have mentioned an prior post, your cinematic and celebrity posts were a cherished source of comfort and escape for me during a period when I was constantly traveling for work. Each eagerly awaited post was like mana from heaven, reviving me from my soul-sucking job. I am eternally grateful. Bless you and Poseidon’s Underworld.

[So, at this point in my note of admiration and appreciation, I started writing a lengthy and largely incomprehensible missive about being a fan of yours, the blog, and also the many other followers of the Underworld, whose comments I always read because they are always awesome, and then rambling about the sense of community that you have created here and how important that is during these days of pandemic, isolation, social unrest, and general lunacy, only to delete everything I wrote because - irony of ironies (given the discussion of fandom and celebrity encounters) - I always turn into a blithering idiot when I try to communicate with someone of whom I’m a fan. Oy!]

Suffice it to say, my congratulations and thanks extend to every member of the Poseidon’s Underworld family. Here’s to 11 more years!

Poseidon3 said...

Meow, Dan, or maybe I should say mew. Ha ha! I do try not to just shred people if they aren't my faves. Most people are liked, admired or beloved by SOMEONE, even if not by me, so I try to respect that. And when it comes to being remiss... I'm the one who is always so belated in acknowledging the comments here. It's enough to check and approve them in as timely a fashion as possible sometimes! Thank you much.

Thank you, Forever1267!

SonofaBuck, your remarks mean more than you know to me. I am so happy if the work I do here (and it really is a certain degree of WORK, not just play) brought not only entertainment, but comfort, to you. We all could use some of that in this horrendous year of 2020! And even though the bulk of it went to the recycle bin, I deeply appreciate the sentiment you are putting across in your middle paragraph. :::hugs::: and THANK you!