Thursday, August 27, 2020

Respite

I do apologize that another lag has occurred with my posting at Poseidon's Underworld (though you do have to admit that my last one was a looonnng one, almost like the old days!) Things continue to be crazy, but there was also the fact that I took a very brief time to get away from it all... a rustic cabin in the woods with a married couple I've known for 30 years. It was heavenly to be away from the urban and suburban districts and recharge my batteries a little bit. Perfect weather, great friends, food and plenty of laughs. And the half-day I took off prior to departure was the very first personal/vacation time I have used in 2020! That meant that Monday was a beast, though, when I returned. Monday happened to be the 11th birthday of this site. You know I always like to celebrate milestones, but I simply wasn't able to this time.

To touch base again, I'm going to share more of those crazed COVID19 videos I made (and posted about previously right here.) All are improvised off-the-cuff (after a degree of prior thought, of course) with no script. These are already well over a month old, but still may be new to many of you. The first one is revisit with Jerrold on 7/2 after having not been around at all since 5/23. It's a casual trip through his by-now familiar side yard with his typical loony observations...

A couple of days later, we catch up with Jerrold's teenage daughter Misty, all atwitter over preparation for Daddy's birthday, complete with her customary obsession with The Golden Girls...

Then two days after that, Jerrold's wife Lorabeth is ecstatic to finally have gotten her hair paid attention to after months of neglect! She's also due for a rare evening out during the pandemic...

My newest creation is Wanetta Goins, a nicotine-tinged, rather-crusty (rather?!) mother-in-law to Jerrold and "mamaw" to his kids. Popular as Wanetta is among my friends, she hasn't made a second appearance yet because it requires me to lose my goatee again (and I need that fat-neck camouflage!)

Needless to say after this one, I decided it was time to turn the ship around when it comes to COVID19 weight gain...! Granted, I was deliberately trying to give her a "thick" appearance with the camera angle and body language, but nevertheless... It's high time to stop feeding my emotions and get my ass in gear again. I do have a series of posts coming up in order to try to mark the 11th birthday of P.U., so stay tuned!  Thanks for reading.

3 comments:

Gingerguy said...

I love these but my fave is Wanetta. Your acting chops come through on her, the glasses and reading are brilliant and feel real. Hilarious detail through and through.Heehaw 2.0 calling Congrats on all the years of hard work

BrianB said...

My brother has always said that the caterpillars can always predict the intensity of the winter coming. After seeing Wanetta's pitch black ones scrawled above her eyes, I better get my boots and scarves out now!

Honestly there is a joy in watching Jerrold, Lorabeth and Misty coming in and saying hello to all of us in these goofy times! The gift store I manage has a FedEx drop off service within the store which was open through the whole lock down since it was an essential service and we re-opened the gift store June 1. I haven't had two days off in a row in all that time due to being short staffed and people being so much more needy about what they want. And having my apartment remodeled and living through it at the same time! I would love to be stung by a murder hornet just to get a few days off from work!

I love Misty being slightly "off' with the Golden Girls names and Jerrold apologizing about his hair not holding up! I LOVE how Jerrold mutters about things as he's showing us around! "This little incident here." I hope Lorabeth didn't wear him out too much after her visit with Adrian!

"Dottie Wests hair color was like the inside of a hot dog!" I thought I was gonna die!

Thank you and the Holtmessers!

BrianB

Poseidon3 said...

Gingerguy, thank you for your support and kind words (Every. Single. Time.) I would do more of ol' Wanetta but I like to hold onto my goatee! Ha ha! Maybe sometime soon. I've actually been doing pretty well on getting my diet back on track. I have short term and long term goals in place, something I had abandoned in favor of comfort food during this hellacious time. Take care!

BrianB, thanks so very much for watching the vids and paying such close attention to them! Yes, they are off-the-cuff and improvised, but I do try to texturize them with little aspects and details, many of which you've pointed out. I used to work with a dishwasher who ALWAYS had an unexplained band-aid on somewhere.... That's why Jerrold always does, too. Ha ha! Obviously, I can sympathize with the constant work. It's like feast or famine these days. People unable to work while others are nose-to-the-grindstone amid trying circumstances like skeletal staffing. And, yes, I am vainly proud of having come up with poor Dottie's pre-tangerine hair color. LOLOL Take care, hang in there and thanks again!!