Friday, May 1, 2020

A Final Spritz

April ended yesterday and we've already had our annual trip to the April Showers, but I just discovered one this morning that I forgot about! I was engaging with a reader from Poseidon's Underworld in an older post that contained Pat Boone and as I was searching for the movie in question I clanked up against another one of his, 1958's Mardi Gras. Now someday I'm gonna get ahold of this thing in its restored, wide-screen glory. For now, all I can ever locate online is a faded, panned 'n scanned version which eliminates visual elements and reduces detail. Nevertheless, this is a fun shower-oriented moment. You can watch it in action right here. I know not everyone is a fan of Pat Boone and I understand the reasons why, but he was rather dreamy in his hey-day.
Co-stars of the scene in question are Gary (son o' Bing) Crosby, Tommy Sands and Pat Boone. They play military cadets who are invited to perform musically in a Mardi Gras parade and find themselves romantically entangled (with some girls) once in New Orleans.
Near the end of the movie, the buds are heading into the shower room in their smartly-colored robes and soon break into the song "Loyalty."
At no point in the song can the threesome trio seem to resist putting their hands on one another. Each has a long-handled back scrubber tucked into the waistband of his robe as well.
Sands takes his brush and begins rubbing it against the palm of his hand while he's singing!
Hell, if I'd had any inkling that this was cadet life, I would have been in line to sign up out of high school...!
Naturally, they're singing about the opposite sex and its effect on their brotherhood, but without the sound, it looks a bit campy, doncha think? Sands, by the way, who was so damned cute at this time, had a real habit of jutting his jaw way out and singing sideways from his mouth. Crosby repeatedly committed one of my own pet peeve singing sins. He often sang with his eyes shut.
Still not quite ready to hit the showers, Sands gets his hand on Boone's handle...
...then Boone has both hands on it. The moment ends (you can't make this shit up) with Crosby patting the rounded bottom part, sending it shooting upward!
Finally, they begin to disrobe. The rest of the song is presented with them ostensibly naked.
Crosby and Sands aren't in any real hurry to get to their shower heads.
Boone however, aims a shocking squirt of water onto Crosby's nether regions!
And Sands dives on in.
Then gives Boone a taste of his own medicine. I don't think more than one (shower) head gets turned on in this sequence!
That's because the party is interrupted by the fourth cadet featured in the film, Dick Sargent of all people! (Those are Crosby's paws on Sands here.) Sargent comes in, fully-dressed, to tell Boone he's wanted elsewhere on the double. He probably switched agents after being left out of all the handsy, wet fun!
So that's it. I hope someday to see this scene in its glory since the cropped rendition often leaves one of the three gents out of frame. It would be fun to see them all together in the altogether! Ha ha! (Not that we really see very much in this demure movie. It's still a fun bit of shenanigans in a "clean" flick.

7 comments:

rigs-in-gear said...

Is it me, or is it hot in here? Please bring me a lemon Coke with plenty of chipped ice...

Dan said...

A cute, if not particularly memorable number. Reminds me of the Hope/Crosby number "Put Her There, Pal". Funny, but whatever film presence is, Gary Crosby, though a fine looking man, just ain't got it.

Gingerguy said...

A different kind of April Love. They are all cute and this is a wet and wild looking scene. I recorded a Circus movie with Pat and Nancy Kwan the other day from around this time, these must be his prime screen years.

loulou de la falaise said...

There is a picture out there of Pat taking a shower, full moon on display. It must be from this movie (I guess - they usually where briefs in these scenes, don't they?). It was alongside a picture of Steve McQueen's bare butt, kind of a "whose got the better butt". Pat's derriere reigned supreme.

Poseidon3 said...

rigs-in-gear, ha ha! It can get steamy in The Underworld every now and again!

Dan, I can't help but agree. I really didn't dig ANY of the songs in "Mardi Gras" that I paused to listen to. Not my bag, I'm afraid, though I find Pat's voice very pleasant as a rule. I am actually fairly repulsed by Gary Crosby, but I try not to be too mean about it since Bing already was enough for him to deal with! LOL He doesn't need me piling it on.

Gingerguy, LOL about April Love! I must know where and how you recorded "The Main Attraction" because I have been looking for it (and that's what I was doing when I took a left turn into the shower here!)

lou lou, that photo of naked Mr. Boone was one of a series that became available (as was the one of McQueen) when Life Magazine's long-buried archival, unpublished pics were suddenly uploaded to the www! Life followed Pat around during a day at the gym and he was seen working out, taking a steam, taking a shower, etc... one of them even casually offered a side view of his junk! And you know what? You cannot find them now (through the Life archive anyway....) A google image search of Pat Boone Shower will bring them up though since several people out there snatched 'em while they were hot. I have to assume he or someone he knows requested that they be removed, but I don't know why. He was in great shape and the pics are clean and natural the way his God made him! Better than his walk-in tub commercials now! LOLOL Thanks!

P.S. - Here is his steam room photos from a towel post of mine (since lifted by someone and put online in a smaller version):

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-dx0Qe1-BN2Y/UCKdNnFiwqI/AAAAAAAAUQU/FM1-Xrjjf4Y/s1600/Tow09g.jpg

Gingerguy said...

Hi Poseidon, I recorded it from TCM middle of last week, I have to say, now regretfully, I bailed on it after watching a little, it looks like a European shot low budget film, but Nancy Kwan is gorgeous and still had the very long hair from "Flower Drum Song" she famously got a Sassoon crop mid 60's

Poseidon3 said...

Man, I have been watching/recording SO MUCH TCM. Can't believe I missed it....