Wednesday, April 24, 2019

An Underworld Programming Alert!

Good day everyone. I have a special announcement that I hope reaches you in time. Thursday, April 25th (tomorrow, as I type!), TCM is running the 1940 romantic comedy classic The Shop Around the Corner. Hard as it is to believe, we've never even seen it (though for some reason we did go to see its contemporary remake You've Got Mail in 1998.) We've also seen the musicalization In the Good Old Summertime (1949) with Judy Garland and Van Johnson.
The story concerns two coworkers who are antagonistic with one another on the job, but who don't realize that they are simultaneously corresponding through pen pal letters and slowly falling in love! Margaret Sullavan and James Stewart portray the complicated couple.

Why does this airing have any special meaning or notoriety for me or my readers? After all, TCM plays classic films, including this one, all day-every day. It's because this airing is being introduced by one of our very own! Frequent Poseidon's Underworld commenter Gingerguy was selected as a winner in the TCM Fan 25 contest and was flown to Atlanta to film his very own introduction to this cherished film.

So I do hope you will tune in or record this program in support of his thrilling accomplishment! I will come back to do a brief recap sometime next week. Thanks!

10 comments:

Gingerguy said...

I just checked this site as I often do and am flabbergasted. What a nice surprise, as everything here is. One of the great things about meeting other movie fans is that we share the same passions (some might say obsessions) and you become part of a tribe. I always tell movie fans I meet to check here at the underworld, as it has given me knowledge, trivia, and hours of entertainment. Thanks for the shout out!

Poseidon3 said...

We're indebted to you, Ginge, for several reasons. Your support, you're many kindnesses to me in the mail and other countless reasons. Break a leg tomorrow! ;-)

SkippyDevereaux said...

Congratulations Gingerguy!!

Scooter said...

How exciting for your Gingerguy! Can't wait to see it!

http://ricksrealreel.blogspot.com/ said...

It's very exciting and I'm very happy for you!

I think Gingerguy needs to tell us a bit more about the experience : )

Rick

Carter said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Carter said...

So excited for you Gingerguy! :):):). You will be fantastic. I am so so excited and congratulations on your win. Applause! Cheers! HOORAY!!!


Carter


Dan said...

Well, this certainly tops my appearance on "The Major Mudd" kiddie show back in 19 - uh, never mind. I hope I can find my autograph hound!

Let us not forget the same source material was used for the musical "She Loves Me", the delightful 2016 revival of which was shown on PBS.

Sing out, Gingerguy!

Gingerguy said...

Hi Al,

Thanks so much for all the kind remarks. I entered the contest last Fall and did the most low tech submission, so you can imagine my surprise when I got contacted. For 3 days in January TCM worked miracles, with 25 non performers. Still pinching myself. Amazing experience. This blog is such a great place for a movie/culture fan to read about things I love or didn't know I loved, and I feel super lucky that people like Poseidon share their passion and knowledge.

Poseidon3 said...

Glad to see the well-wishers for Gingerguy and his TCM experience. A new post has just been put up regarding this exciting event. Thanks everyone!