Monday, July 23, 2018

Chatterboxing Once Again!

I'm afraid I've gone and recorded yet another podcast. This one is special to me because it constitutes my very first "celebrity interview!" I was asked to co-host an installment of "True Stories of Tinseltown," one of the podcasts on which I was once a guest myself, as child actress Kathy Garver was brought on for an interview.

Garver, who is likely best-known for her role as Cissy Davis on the sitcom Family Affair (1966-1971), enjoyed a startlingly lengthy career as a performer which continues to this day. Dancing away on stage at age three, she proceeded to roles on television and movies opposite many of the top stars of the day. You will be surprised at some of the people she rubbed elbows with over her career as a child actress and - fortunately for us - she has a very good memory.
At the time of the recording, I was STILL battling a serious upper respiratory infection (but there was no way in hell I was going to miss the chance to take part!) Also, because there were three of us, there are times when we sort of step on one another, mostly at first. And I, uncharacteristically I think, seemed to have a higher number of "uhs" and "ums" than I usually do when speaking publicly... I'll blame the meds and also my excitement and enthusiasm over chit-chatting with a famous person.

Miss Garver is now seventy-two and is exceedingly charming, well-spoken and captivating to listen to. I know that even if you were never a fan of Family Affair, you will find her recollections and reflections on the people and projects she was involved with to be refreshing and interesting. I took pains to come up with questions I thought she might not have been asked before in her many previous interviews and it seemed as if she found that refreshing (I felt that it showed in her voice and remarks.)

She is the author of a few books (an autobiography, a book on former child performers and now a cookbook) and remains highly active as a guest speaker and also as an actress in various independent projects.
The fact (which I did not have time to mention or ask about) that she provided the voice for Firestar on the animated Saturday morning kids series Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends as well as those of Rima the jungle girl and Hawkgirl on The Super Friends has assured her a spot at various Comic-Cons as well.

After the interview with Ms. Garver ends about 30 minutes in, we continue to flap our gums about Family Affair, Anissa Jones, Kym Karath, Little House on the Prairie, vintage daytime soaps, etc... If you listen, I hope you enjoy it. Here is a link to the recording.

3 comments:

Shawny said...

You definitely had some great questions for her. Nice job. And your voice is so sexy!

I love how she was so worried about spoiler alerting, but didn’t bother to alert when she revealed Shelley Winters early death in Night of the Hunter. I would have asked her if she saw the finished film at that young age or if her parents didnt let her. As a cast member she probably had no idea of the horror that the film evokes, and I can’t imagine seeing it as a child. It would have scared the shit out of me. From the ghostly underwater grave of Shelley Winter’s character, to the ominous refrain “leaning...”. Scarred for life.

Poseidon3 said...

Shawn, I'm so glad you listened... and thank you for the compliment! The hilarity is that when I hear my own voice (which I will reveal was described to me another time by someone else during these things as "sexy!") I want to dig a hole in the ground and bury myself in it! I can hardly bear it... So if it sounds great to you, I'm very pleased. I love it that "Night of the Hunter" is rightfully regarded as a showstopper now, but I've always been sad that it was rather rejected upon release. Had it been a hit, we all could have enjoyed more of Charles Laughton's creativity in other flicks. It scores on all fronts from the performances to the looks to, as you indicate, even the sounds! Thanks again.

Gingerguy said...

I just listened to this poolside on vacation lol. So awesome. Busy young lady she was. I have seen The Ann Sothern Show and live for Miss Brooks. Those were impressive but Night Of The Hunter is amazing. I think I need a t shirt that says "Cissy". Ditto on the sexy voice Poseidon. You guys asked great questions and she seemed delightful.