Thursday, January 18, 2024

Poseidon Quickies: Still Steamed...

One long-running TV series which I have never been too familiar with is The F.B.I. It ran for nine seasons from 1965-1974, meaning I wasn't yet 7 when it left the air. And I didn't ever see a rerun thereafter! So it's been interesting to investigate the show, quite belatedly. A Quinn Martin production (always a favorite because of the way the guest stars are depicted and named in the opening credits!), a galaxy of guest stars popped up along the way. But, just a bit too late for my recent post on the topic, I was startled to see, in this otherwise very buttoned-up program, a steam room sequence. And that's what we'll be featuring in this brief post today. 

As I say, this is not a series known for its beefcake. It's chock full of suits and ties for the most part, though occasionally someone might be shirtless if he's injured(!) Things got off to a promising start in this installment when a handsome silver daddy was drowned in his pool with nothing on but a clingy robe.

Later we meet the criminally-inclined Kevin McCarthy (who has been popping up around here a lot as of late.)

A business associate of his, the chisel-faced Don Chastain, is concerned that McCarthy may be associated with a notorious crime boss.

The two touch base in the steam room.

As they're discussing business, McCarthy tries to throw Chastain off the scent.

He sidles over to his pal to work on him.


I've said it before, but these sort of scenes so often look unduly suggestive when you don't know the context of the conversation...

When Chastain finally wonders aloud if McCarthy is in with the crime boss, his suggestion is greeted with maniacal laughter.

Turning the tables, he says that he was suspicious of the reverse and that Chastain was suspected of being in cahoots with the man himself.

Chastain assures him that there's no chance of that.

Mission accomplished.

But wait, there's more! Later in the ep, the guys are back in there again!

This time McCarthy has been tasked with convincing Chastain to fire one of his employees (one who is in the way of their criminal plans.)

At this stage of his career, McCarthy had developed an affection for rubbing all over his torso while performing. He does it a lot here and had also demonstrated a fondness for his tummy in Hotel (1967.)

Anyway, Chastain is highly reluctant to fire his well-performing man.

And McCarthy expresses regret that he hasn't taken him up on the suggestion. 

McCarthy exits the steam room...

...and has a chat with the attendant, who, acting under his direction, locks the door (!) and cranks up the heat.

"It's geh-in hot in hear..."

Chastain's pleas to open the door...

...fall on deaf ears.

It doesn't take long for him to be overcome by the temperature.

Only when he's sure that Chastain will finally see things his way does McCarthy order the steam to be shut off and the door unlocked.

Gasping and nearly unconscious, he's finally dragged out.


'Course not even an ordeal like this was gonna move that helmet hair...!

He's properly convinced to see things McCarthy's way. (You know that I was gunning for them to hit those showers, too, but it didn't come to pass.)

Another steamy adventure is wrapped up. You can likely look for a Guest Who post in the near future as I fill you in on some of the people who appeared on The F.B.I., notably some ladies who were styled in that mid-to-late '60s look that I adore so much. If you want to check this particular installment out personally, you may do so right here

7 comments:

Gingerguy said...

Kevin McCarthy looks familiar, was he the closety gay in "The Detective" ? So funny that I think men that age, my age, are so sexy now

Poseidon3 said...

Hey, pussycat, I think you're bringing William Windom to mind. He played gay a number of times which was risky to a career then. (He was really a character actor at heart, though, anyway.) It always amazes me when I see an actor looking "old" in something and they're actually far younger than I am now!!! Thanks.

A said...

One summer I went to a pool party, and spent a long time in the pool talking to a really tanned,handsome guy, with wavy salt and pepper hair (with chest hair to match). After about 20 minutes, I noticed that every time he came up out of the water, his hair was dry and still perfectly styled. He was a nice guy, but nothing came of it.

For some reason, the McCarthy/Chastain steam room scene made me think of that story.

Shawny said...

I don't know how they do it, but I can never keep my towel on when walking around a gym locker room. I have to hold it up with my hands, or it falls off...oopsie! Kevin McCarthy? That douche bag who recently exited from congress with his pitchforked tail tucked in between his legs? Seriously tho, I only remember him as the guy who takes the knife out of the cheese in Arthur.

Unknown said...

He stars in '50's classic Invasion of the Body Snatchers.

hsc said...

I vaguely remember THE F.B.I. when it ran-- my parents watched it regularly-- but don't really have much memory of it, other than it was loaded with guest performers.

And also that it was "a *QUINN* Martin Production"-- as that guy's deep, gruff voice intoned at the beginning of all those shows. It seemed like my parents watched everything that production company put out! OTOH, the company did put out some of the best shows of that period.

Anyway, a nice look at a steamy situation, and the possibilities for a future "Guest Who?" post should be good with this show's format. Looking forward to seeing who you turn up!



Thanks for yet another fun post, and for all you do, Poseidon! Love to all, and be safe and well, everyone!

Poseidon3 said...

A, I wonder how he achieved that! Sounds almost Scotchguarded. LOL I go under the water with every hair in place and emerge from the depths looking like The Salt Vampire from "Star Trek" or Swamp Thing. Ha ha ha!!!

Shawny, the trick (for me anyway) is to make certain that the ends of the towel (the corners) are moistened. Then also fold over the very top about 1" to 2" and wrap and fold/tuck. They cling/stick together pretty snugly that way unless you plan on tumbling around a lot. Ha!

hsc, as a kid I would hear those intros (usually at my grandparents', who were loyal QM viewers of things like "Barnaby Jones," "Cannon," "The Streets of San Francisco," etc...) and it just adhered to my psyche. I LOVE hearing him. Those credits, along with the "box style" movie posters of the '70s with rows of famous actors somehow became something of an obsession for me. Thanks!