Wednesday, June 22, 2022

Fun Finds: Movie Stars Parade Magazine, June 1956

Back again right away with another Fun Find, purchased on the same day as the last one. And, wouldn't you know, the Butcher of Burlington was up to her old tricks again in this mag! While it's not quite the shambles of the previous publication, there were still several pages missing or messed with... I will be more attentive when searching for old periodicals in the future! I guess that beguiling cover of Miss Kim Novak distracted me. Fans of cheesecake photography might like this one especially. As usual, I'll be providing commentary along the way as I deem appropriate. Now let's get to it! 

The inside front cover featured this device, the likes of which could be found in magazines up through the 1970s at least! I don't know if anyone ever lost weight from it, but at least the vibrations could put a smile on your face if you aimed it right. LOL

I don't know why, but it struck me as odd that a mouthwash ad would be set at the counter of an ice cream parlor! She gets a luscious float and he gets Listerine?

I didn't cut these models' heads off. The ad was presented that way (to focus on the garments.) Interesting assortment of clothing (and bigger gals will pay an extra $1!) Number 542 is "on-or-off shoulder" which reminded me of Blanche from The Golden Girls: "Why everything I wear is off the shoulda'... sooner or later...!"

Grrr... the first page of this gossip section is MIA. We do love us some Guy Madison. And I had utterly forgotten that Cara Williams was once wed to John Drew Barrymore! They were split by 1959, but she did have his son, sometimes-actor John Blyth Barrymore. No need for any nursery over at Rock & Phyllis' house!

Russ Tamblyn's wife here, Venetia Stevenson, is the daughter of Anna Lee, though she and her mother were not close until Venetia was an adult because she lived with her father, actor Robert Stevenson in England. Her marriage to Tamblyn was finished after a year. Dale Robertson and Mary Murphy needn't have bothered with their upcoming nuptials. The union was annulled six months later! Serenade (1956) was a moderate hit, but Mario Lanza only made one more movie before passing away at 38 from the effects of stringent (and controversial) weight loss procedures. 

Milton Greene, shown on this page with Marilyn Monroe, was a famous photographer who, for a time, helped Monroe change career directions with movies like Bus Stop (1956) and The Prince and the Showgirl (1957), though there was a falling out after the second film. He is the man who took the iconic photo of her in a tulle ballet tutu, among many other shots.

His story has gone missing at the hands of the scissor-happy original owner, but this is Ben Cooper, a busy 1950s & '60s actor who is not particularly well-known now. He tended to play supporting roles in films which featured bigger stars like Joan Crawford or Burt Lancaster.

A small amount of his article remains intact in the back of the mag. Cooper did marry in 1960 to actress Pamela Raymond and they remained wed until 2008 when she passed away. Cooper acted up through the mid-1990s and passed away in 2020 at age 86. I recall the shock of seeing him in 1st & Ten as Delta Burke's husband who has a special fondness for one of the players!

Not sure what "The Wedding Clock" was, but Shirley Jones didn't make it. Her next movie, in fact, was Carousel (1956), whose soundtrack album she is holding.

She really must have been tight-lipped about spilling too much personal information, including about Jack Cassidy. The two were wed that August!

Now the cover story and the parade of cheesecake-y photos of the popular actresses of the day. At first glance I thought this was Elizabeth Taylor, but it's one Marla English. This is really a pretty revealing photo for a 1956 "family" publication! She was currently filming "White Nightmare" which became A Strange Adventure (1956) with the aforementioned Ben Cooper in the cast. She wed a businessman in 1957 and retired from the biz at only age 21!

Arlene Dahl famously advised ladies to never sleep on their faces, only on the back of their head, to avoid facial creases, etc... (She also infamously would rise before hubby Fernando Lamas and apply makeup, then slip back into bed, so that he would awaken to a vision instead of a slattern next to him! LOL) I had no clue on earth that that was (a brunette!) Martha Hyer at lower-right...

This is kind of a fun article with intriguing text and info along the way. I can barely envision cowboy Rory Calhoun amid all they endless frillery! Mamie Van Doren's towel has seen better days. I had one not quite that bad that I used to like to use at the YMCA to attract attention. Ha ha!

Heavens... those side-lamps of Debra Paget's! I think Marilyn Monroe once replied, when asked what she had on in bed, "the radio..." Or was it Chanel #5?

I'm not having a brunette Mitzi Gaynor! LOL And though I love her, this hard-looking period is one of my least favorite of Joan Crawford's. As for the text in the story, is it "moo-moo" or "muu-muu?"

Here is cover girl Kim Novak at last. Jan Sterling was one of the lightest blondes ever, next to Jean Harlow and latter-day Monroe.

There's our other Joan (Collins), all ready for bed in full makeup and large earrings! Ha! The caption is on the opposing page, but that's Julie Adams and humpy hubby Ray Danton above-right.

Lastly, we find curvaceous Anita Ekberg and former child-star Margaret O'Brien. (I can't with the dolls...)

The accompanying story (about her dreams of marriage) was rendered from the magazine, but this pinup of Natalie Wood remains. In 1957, Wood married Robert Wagner for the first time, which was hardly the dream she had in mind. But they later re-wed ten years after their 1962 divorce.

Audie Murphy had a family-oriented spread in the other recent Fun Find and now here he is again, out and about at Universal-International Studios for the day with his two little boys.


I don't know a thing about these two sweet boys, but I hope they had happy lives. Things got rough for their father near the end of his life.

Y'all pay attention to this so you can look more presentable when you visit Poseidon's Underworld...! Ha ha!

Funny how things change... now everyone WANTS a pouty lip! The owner of the mag snipped out the photo of Grace Kelly and her perfect nose. And it was the unkindest cut of all...

...because in the process, she hacked away a large portion of John Derek's cranium!

At least the rest of the spread was left alone, though these training photos sadly have him all covered up in a sweatsuit.

Jacques Sernas got what ought to have been a considerable break with Helen of Troy (1956), but it wound up only making back half its money at the box office. Before too long, he was back making multiple European costume epics in what was a long career there. (Among his films were also La dolce vita, 1960, and 55 Days at Peking, 1963.)

Sernas managed to survive Buchenwald concentration camp and, like many others who made it through such an ordeal, lived a long life. He retired in 2007 and passed away in 2015 at age 89. 

Despite being an alleged cinema aficionado, I'm ashamed to admit that I have never seen any of these films! By the way... read about Zonitors at your own risk! Ha ha!

Some remaining tidbits from the opening gossip section. Gary Cooper did perform in at least two more westerns, The Hanging Tree (1959) and the excellent Man of the West (1958), which is a favorite of mine. Janet Leigh was able to deliver her baby, Kelly, and proceeded to have Jamie Lee about two years later. Jerry Lewis, by the way, was biological father to six children (that we know of!) Rita Hayworth did not end up marrying Raymond Hakim.

Keep learning, kids...

Lord, Janet, is there anything else you'd like to know about Natalie?!? There were stories in this magazine about both Sal and Tab, but they were missing! Aaarrgh! But in any case, I think Tab liked his girls real quiet, like asleep. But I suspect he liked blonds versus blondes...

If you're not familiar with Kay Starr, she sang the Christmas hit "(Everybody's Waitin' For ) The Man with the Bag" along with many other songs. She lived to be 94. "Rock Island Line," a smash in the UK, reached number 8 in the US. Many of the vocalists mentioned here would soon enough find themselves washed away by the influx of rock 'n roll artists.

There are a number of people in this section with fan clubs who I have never heard of! For what it's worth, Gordon MacRae has my favorite singing voice ever. I just loved the way he sounded in his prime. He and Sheila were married from 1941-1967 and had four children together before divorcing. He immediately re-wed and they were together until his death in 1986 from pneumonia at age 64.

Here is the back cover of the magazine. For whatever reason it took me FOREVER to recognize the artwork shown...! I thought it was a red toothbrush at first! I guess I'm just not one to appreciate art. Ha ha!

::::BONUS PICS::::

I felt the least I could do under the circumstances of this magazine's vandalism was to try to show Mr. Derek's pinup unmolested by scissors. However, I could NOT find that exact shot. This is very, very close. 

I have yet to see The Leather Saint, but now I really want to. I ask you to examine the unbelievably hairy legs of John Derek in this photo...!

"There, there... let mama make it all better for you."

All the long, wavy locks that Derek had sported for The Ten Commandments (1956) were shorn off for this movie. It's likely the shortest hair the actor-turned-director ever had.

The beatific lighting is because he plays a priest who secretly and temporarily takes to the ring in order to raise funds for both an iron lung and a community swimming pool.

The End.

12 comments:

rigs-in-gear said...

Marla English is best known to fans of Z-grade horror films as the star of She Creature, playing the title role of a hypnotist's assistant who is regressed into her lethal primordial form.

As for the Baby Ruth ad... I thought it was a Zonitor.

BryonByronWhatever said...

Kudos for managing to slip in a Golden Girls reference!

A said...

Great post, Poseidon, great stories and I really love the weird ads.

I was sure they were pushing Listerine flavored milkshakes.

I'm a Mario Lanza fan, I'd never heard of how he died and had to look it up. The "twilight sleep treatment" indeed.

I read your reference to Debra Paget's "side lamps" was a euphemism of some sort.

Zonitors. "Snow white and grease-less". I've never heard of them (why would I?) but they seem to have been really something, as the Smithsonian Institution has a box. A gift from a Blanche E. Reid, who must have loved them.

I'm a big Kay Starr fan, for Wheel of Fortune, among others.

That Baby Ruth ad is both weird and disturbing. I see a toothbrush and a fancy cocktail with a little yellow umbrella. And the slices of candy bar make it seem like a horror movie poster.

John Derek looked great here.

Thanks again,

A.

hsc said...

I love these "Fun Finds" magazine dives!

That full-page ad for the "spot reducer" vibrator even appeared in *COMIC BOOKS* around this time-- along with the Skylark Originals ads and the waist cinchers/corsets like the one shown on a page towards the back of the magazine.

That was one of the things the Comics Code addressed when it was put into place-- eliminating certain types of advertising (like weapons and weight-loss/gain "medications")-- but IIRC, this type of "reducing" product stayed in, along with exercise-oriented bodybuilding courses.

But that ad *couldn't* have been more obvious about the REAL purpose they were selling-- "RELAXING - SOOTHING PENETRATING MASSAGE... You will thrill to new feeling-- tingling sensations-- you will enjoy a feeling you've probably never enjoyed before."

And it should be noted that the electric vibrator was actually *invented* for the express purpose of getting women off, to cure the "female complaint" that the Victorians called "hysteria"-- a non-existent "womb congestion" which needed to be relieved by a doctor through an induced "paroxysm" (i.e., orgasm).

--

It's funny, when I saw the shot of Marla English, I immediately thought of her, then decided it must be Liz-- the reverse of your reaction! (She actually had a touch of GWTW-era Vivien Leigh mixed in with the resemblance to Liz Taylor.)

Marla didn't do much and is probably best-known for THE SHE CREATURE, as rigs-in-gear cited, but she was also in a lulu of a trash movie around this time, THREE BAD SISTERS, with hunky John Bromfield.

--

That shot of Margaret O'Brien's doll-strewn little girl's bedroom is a little creepy when you take into account that she was nearly *20* when this photo ran, and got married just a few years later. Hopefully, it was a studio setup and not her own idea of a bedroom.

--

Mario Lanza's sudden death related to a weight-loss effort gone wrong wasn't the only one.

In 1944, hulking type-cast "bad guy" Laird Cregar died after abusing amphetamines desperately trying to slim down into leading man roles, resulting in organ damage requiring abdominal surgery swiftly followed by a fatal heart attack.

In 1951, Maria Montez suffered a heart attack in a hot tub related to a weight-loss regimen involving pills, dieting and sweating out fluids.

---

And that parade of tacky bedrooms and teasing "what do you wear in bed" answers was a hoot!

And yes, Marilyn *really did* tell reporters she just wore Chanel #5 to bed-- Chanel even has an audio of an interview she gave where she confirms it and says she was trying to avoid saying she slept in the nude. You can hear it here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wo8UtWiYiZI

---

Thanks for yet another great post, Poseidon! Love to all and be safe and well, everyone!

SkippyDevereaux said...

I have seen "23 Paces To Baker Street" and LOVE it!! I have it on DVD and sometimes Fox Movie Channel will show it.

Dan said...

You saw a red toothbrush - I saw an impressive scrotum missing one tenant.

Poseidon3 said...

rigs-in-gear, LOLOL about the Zonitor!! I am so fascinated by Marla English doing so much on screen and then retiring at 21...! I'll have to look into her some more.

BryonByronWhatever, I do TryToWhenever! Ha!

A, it was very startling I'm sure when Mario turned up dead not long after coming back successfully and with projects on deck. I didn't necessarily mean anything about the lamps. They're just so big and fluffy and garish... like pasties for The 50ft Woman. Ha ha! I'm glad I'm not alone in misinterpreting the Baby Ruth ad at first. Abstract is not my friend, I guess!

hsc, I think I could use a little hysteria treatment about now. LOL Y'all may hate me for this, but when I looked up Marla's imdb.com page, I thought with that awful hairdo she resembled Dorothy Kilgallen! But, look, I ADORE John Bromfield in his prime, so I need to see "Three Bad Sisters." Margaret O' was such a talented kiddie actor, but seemed to really fizzle out as a grown up. I am well aware of Laird Cregar. He crosses my mind whenever I go on Atkin's Induction and lose 10-12 lbs in a week...! Yet I persist. Thanks!

Skippy, I will keep an eye out for it. I like Vera Miles so much.

Dan...! Ha ha! You made me think of those things one sometimes sees hanging off the back of midwest pickup trucks. One time some dude had painted over the chrome with peach-toned paint even!! :-P

Shawny said...

The hypothetical film you are describing in the beatific lighting would be The Balls of St Marys.

Ptolemy1 said...

I do so love Novak, out of an absolute SEA of blondes I think she really stood out. I adore her in Picnic and Bell Book and Candle. I forgive her rather awkward way of moving, more so than I think Hitchcock forgave it, lol. To me she moved like an athletic woman and that was fine.

I just watched The Great Race for like the 10th time and always marvel at how beautiful Wood is in it. Just gorgeous. Victorian really flatters some women, the goddess Ava comes to mind in 55 Days at Peking. I mean, come ON. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to TRY to get that pout out of my lips. Thanks.

Gingerguy said...

Love the mags! So much Mamie here. I follow her on FB and she posts all the time, including what I think are recent and sexy shots of her and she looks really good. I really felt for Phyllis Gates, it was a bait and switch for sure and she seemed really normal. Michael Jackson had better luck with his Dentist's Receptionist, they did need a Nursery. Marilyn chose Chanel over the radio, unfortunately when I think of her in bed all I can remember is that book that mentioned she ate pork chops in bed and wiped her hands on the sheets.
John Derek was a fox!

Hal said...

Great post. I love these old magazine finds, and also enjoy the ads. A minor point, but I think the album that Shirley Jones is holding is actually the "Carousel" movie soundtrack, starring Ms. Jones and Gordon MacRae, and not the original cast album. I recognize the jacket cover because we had it at home when I was young. The movie was released in February of 1956, several months before this magazine was published.

Poseidon3 said...

Shawny, that is HI-larious...!!! I have never seen "The Bells of St. Marys", but I would be all in for the movie you describe. Ha ha!

Ptolemy1, it's funny. I WORSHIP Kim in "Vertigo" and enjoy her in some other movies, but I cannot bear her in either "Picnic" or "BB&C!" Bizarre, I know... I think I just sort of relate more to the haunted, tormented aspects of Madeliene and find her so otherworldly in that. Both Natalie and Ava were often stunning to behold as you say. :-)

Gingerguy, that's awesome that you follow MVD on FB! Wow...! I read Phyllis' book and took it for her version of the events, but it must be said, too, that many people called her out as a full-on lesbian who knew - as Willson's secretary - precisely what she was in for and what the arrangement was going to be. But then got a taste of being the wife of a huge star and couldn't let go of that when the time came. So it turned ugly, with the book being a final grab for cash out of the situation. So who really knows... Hilarious about Marilyn and her napkin-ish bed sheets!

Hal, you're surely right and I was too lazy to go and make certain, relying more on the dates of the movie release rather than the soundtrack album! Sorry about that. I will correct it now. Thanks.