Thursday, June 24, 2021

Poseidon Quickies: I'm "Banning" This Today.

Yet another in a long string of films that I yearned to see for many years but which proved unavailable, 1967's Banning is all but forgotten by most people. I just love anything made in 1967 (as well as most any Universal Studios film from the 1950s-1970s) so much that it had been beckoning to me for decades. Marketed as a squalid sex romp, there is a certain amount of seduction going on here and there, but at its heart, the movie concerns itself with building suspense over a climactic game of... golf!

Yes, Banning is set at a hoity-toity country club where golf is king. Notice the titles are all in lower-case versus the capital B on the poster.

Robert Wagner is the man of the title. I love titles that show the performers along with his or her name, though that only goes for three of the cast this time out. He plays a golfer who's come to the club on a mission.

Anjanette Comer, then in the midst of a brief run at movie stardom (The Loved One, 1965, and The Appaloosa, 1966, under her belt) costars as the club's social director.

Jill St. John is a wealthy, and voracious, divorcee, who fills her boring nights with a series of conquests.

Wagner appears on the course to meet an old pal, requesting - or basically demanding - a job from him as assistant pro at the club.

Said pal/club manager is played by Guy Stockwell. He is reluctant to take Wagner on, especially since the spot has been promised to another employee, but he's left with little choice.

Making her feature film debut as Stockwell's pretty wife is Canadian actress Susan Clark.

As the man whose job is shafted in place of Wagner, we find James Farentino, who you might recall from our recent post about Ensign Pulver (1964.) In a blink-and-you'll-miss-it bit part, we see hunky Don Stroud, who would proceed to a busy career of his own.

The movie is a great time capsule of a particular moment in time (glossed up to be certain!) All the gals are made up to the hilt, hair pouffed and bouffed and sporting snappy clothing. As this is a "Quickie," I'm not going to bore you with the specific details of the plot-line, a surprisingly banal situation for a feature film, though the pleasure is assumed to be found in the elegant settings, the sometimes saucy remarks and the machinations of the upper crust in their native habitat. I'm just going to present you with a few things that interested me.

I thought this style of up-do paired with drop earrings really suited Ms. Clark. She, like all the gals in the film, is dressed by Jean Louis.

St. John spends part of her time (the earlier bit of the evening, not the shank!) amid a couple of lavender gents and they trade catty barbs to one another or about other club members.

One of St. John's objects of ridicule is a glitzy matron played in a bit role by Lucille Meredith. (Meredith was the real-life wife of Emmy-winning -- for Columbo and Barney Miller --  TV writer Roland Kibbee.) She presents her nephew "Chilton" and one can only imagine what went through St. John's buddies' minds...! The actor, Michael Brown, only has one other credit, a role in a Robert Downey Sr short film.

Clark isn't the only one with a swell up-do and chandelier earrings. The party scenes are brimming over with the same.

Staff member Comer is saddled with far plainer clothing and a sort of matronly wig, which she often sticks a pastel headband onto.

This is the moment when Wagner meets St. John. As you likely know, they later ended up married in real life. At this time, he was divorced from Natalie Wood and married to Marion Marshall. He'd later wed Wood a second time and then connect with St. John a little while after. At this time she was preparing to wed her third husband, singer Jack Jones, but that would last less than two years. Married now since 1990, Wagner and St. John's union has outlasted all of their previous six marriages combined!

Hardly strangers, they'd known each other since the mid-'50s. In fact, they'd just costarred earlier in 1967 in the television movie How I Spent My Summer Vacation, as shown here. I've always found it fascinating that Wagner's first (and third!) wife Wood, his fourth wife St. John and his longstanding TV wife from Hart to Hart, Stefanie Powers, were all in the very same small dance class as children...! What are the chances? I guess in Tinseltown, not so slim after all. (By the way, he is photographed better and shows much more chest in that TV movie than in Banning.)

St. John's unusual seduction methods include having Wagner arrested and turned over into her custody! Once back at her place, which has the damnedest looking decor you're likely to see in a movie, he discovers who she adores more than anyone else...

Still, she's hungry for a new notch in her belt, so she does everything she can to nab her man.

It seems like she had this same hairstyle in practically every movie I have ever seen her in, but maybe it's because I so often seek out mid-'60s flicks. In any case, she saunters off to slip on something more comfortable and Wagner bolts!

She's not one to give up too easily though. Later on, he returns to his quarters at the club to find her installed in his bed. And this time he gives her what she's after.

Though Wagner gets snagged by St. John, he is also pursued by Clark (see why I prefer her hair piled up?)

But ultimately, he's most interested in more practical Comer. I guess there are worse problems a guy could have than juggling the three!

Now to note a couple more moments which grabbed my attention. Here we find Farentino, all steamed about being passed over for the assistant golf pro position he was promised.

He pleads his case to the resident pro, who's taking a steam bath. The guy is played by none other than a pre-stardom Gene Hackman!

Hair-greyed, his character is a struggling alcoholic past his prime. This was the year things took off for Hackman after close to a decade of working on TV and in movies. It began with his supporting part in Bonnie and Clyde (1967) and continued on from there with The French Connection (1971) earning him an Oscar (with the leading role in The Poseidon Adventure, 1972, directly following that.) 

For the longest time, it feels like Hackman is the only man we're going to see shirtless in Banning.

Even when Stockwell, who'd shown off his chest the year before in Beau Geste (1966), comes into the steam room, he's cloaked in a giant sheet.

Farentino gives us a plunging neckline from his damp shirt, but that's it for the steam room.

All of these discussions would have been more arresting had there been fewer coverings on the men.

Fortunately, we're treated a bit later to a shower sequence.

While not especially revealing, at least it's a nice male-bonding moment between Wagner and Farentino.


I do admit I was a little startled when Wagner wrapped a towel around him, which would then have been sodden with water, before he stepped on a nearby scale...! Good lord, I trim my fingernails and sometimes eyebrows before stepping on a scale! LOL But I guess he could afford the added water weight.

Ultimately, and surprisingly considering his billing and some of the rest of the cast, it is Farentino who winds up providing the most on-screen beefcake. And he looks great.

Farentino had just married Michele Lee the year before this, in the wake of a three-year marriage to Elizabeth Ashley. He and Lee stayed together until 1983. Characterized as a fiery personality, two more marriages and a troubled engagement to Tina Sinatra would follow. 

Banning is glossy studio fodder, straining to be spicy, but I am nonetheless drawn to movies like this with all-star casts looking great. And as an added bonus for me, there are a few 1970s disaster movie veterans on hand. Wagner of The Towering Inferno and The Concorde... Airport '79, Stockwell and Clark from Airport 1975 (and she was in City on Fire, too) and Hackman from The Poseidon Adventure. I wanted to link the movie here, but it's already gone that fast...! The best I can do is the trailer, which makes the whole thing seem even more sordid than it actually is.

17 comments:

Gingerguy said...

This was so much better than watching this movie I bet, just the highlights and hairpieces. I love this year for clothes and hair and to me it's the last year everyone looked great before the excesses of the 60's turned into the ugggly early 70's. This is the kind of movie I would have watched as a kid when I got bored in the Summer. I kind of love Jill, there is something one note about her acting but she always looked glamorous. Not to get into controversy about Robert Wagner, as people have many opinions about him, but time has been kind to him and it's nice he is happily married for so long. I would put this into the same category as "The Doctor's Wives" not the idle rich but the idle upper middle class. What kind of gay men hung around country clubs then? that bit is hilarious

http://ricksrealreel.blogspot.com/ said...

Hey Poseidon, I recall this movie was on a lot when I was a kid, need to revisit!

I always recall the quote from Elizabeth Ashley's memoir about why she married James Tarantino: "Who wouldn't have opted for his body?" Ha!

During her heyday, Jill St. John not only wore the same hairdo forever, but it looked like she was wearing a wig!

I'd say at this point, Robert Wagner was well-cast as a country club smoothy...

And finally, did Gene Hackman EVER look young?

Thanks for your take on this,
Rick

BryonByronWhatever said...

For me, Robert Wagner was always pretty to look at and a pretty wooden actor, at best. That said, the appeal of that smirky smile is obvious. On the other hand, Guy Stockwell's acting style never registered with me at all as I was mostly just waiting for his shirt to come off.

BrianB said...

Hey Poseidon, I haven't had much to say lately but I have to say I think I need to see this movie. It's weird because when I saw the title in the first picture I was sure I remembered seeing it. It seems like a lot of pictures and TV movies around that time had those "last name, main character" titles.

My favorite picture is Jill St John and her safety gays. I'm sure when they first sat down they warmed up to trade barbs about the crowd by trading barbs about that sad flower arrangement! And I was even more thrilled to see the woman in black in the background pulling focus by doing hand puppets with her opera gloves!

I don't know who's playing Jill's safety gay in the picture at the bar but I've seen him in other movies from that time and he always had that smirky expression.

I really need to see more of Jill's place just to see if it's as hideous as it looks like in the screen captures! The figurines on the mantle, the violin placed just so on the music stand, the floral pillows on the sofa, the oversized crepe paper flowers, and are those lilac sheers on the window? If she and Bob weren't wearing black in that scene and wore colors we wouldn't even see them!

You're not imagining Jill's same hairdo in every movie she was in. I feel like I saw that same bubble cut with a fall stuck to the back in a Western she did. And the same makeup too. But that was a thing with a lot of movies in the 60's-70's, it was about the stars image rather than accuracy to the time period they were filming in.

I love the last promo picture on the golf course. It looks like an ad for Van Heusen's golf collection.

Thanks for a colorful recap!

BrianB

Shawny said...

This film looks like those wasps large framed photos on a Johnathan Adler store wall. Did that store make it through the pandemic? I hope not. I would watch this film however. Thank you P!

FilmFan1 said...

The thing I remember about "Banning" is that it's song "The Eyes of Love" was nominated for an Oscar that year. Meanwhile, great movie songs like "To Sir, With Love," "Mrs. Robinson," and "Valley Of the Dolls" were ignored in favor of three crap songs. The only two good songs nominated in 1967 "Thoroughly Modern Millie" and "The Look Of Love" lost to "Doctor Dolittle's Talk To the Animals." To quote Alexis Schitt "Ewwww, David!" I love your blog. Keep up the great work.

joel65913 said...

Another fun post on an obscure film with an alluring cast. I haven't seen this in years and I don't remember it as being some great undiscovered gem but I did enjoy it.

Jill's hairstyle I think is locked in for all eternity! I also can't recall her with any other than this, maybe tiny variations but the bangs and teased crown are perennials. I saw her in a lovely little 2002 indie called "The Trip" (a love story about two opposites, an uptight closeted conservative and a militantly out man, who fall in love and their relationship over a couple of decades) in which she played the mother of one of the leads and she STILL had the same hairdo!!

James Farentino was a beautiful man in his youth and he aged pretty well until some ill-advised plastic surgery later in life.

I've always LOVED Susan Clark. She was a real comer from the late 60's for about a decade giving some really wonderful performances particularly in TV movies like Babe, Amelia Earhart and Hedda Gabler. She fell in love with and married Alex Karras when they met during the filming of Babe (not the one about the pig but a biography of athlete Babe Didrikson Zaharias) and seemed to change her focus choosing projects where they could work together to the detriment of her career. I was still happy to see her whenever she turned up but I couldn't stand "Webster" even with her in it! Yes she does look better with the upswept hairdo.

Lastly I'm always happy to see Gene Hackman pop up in any film but these early pre-stardom appearance are perhaps the most intriguing since even though he had yet to establish his type that cool slightly prickly air of amused detachment clings to him.

Polly Esther said...

Leave it to you to dig up a photo of a bare chested James Farentino! OMG one of my favorite hunky men from childhood. And he looks oh so good…
How funny about Jill St. John’s hair, you’re right— it never changed. Even in a James Bond movie you would think they’d do her hair differently! At least she rocked it…always thought she was so pretty.
Never found Robert Wagner to be all that - looks or acting. I think he and Nicole Kidman went to the same acting school : Acting for Dummies (as in wooden ventriloquist dummy!) I did watch Hart to Hart, however. But it was to see Stefanie Powers gorgeous hair more than anything else!
Thanks for another great post.
Sounds like you’re having a not so great life right now, Mr. P. — there’s a saying that goes: When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on. I hope goodness smiles on you soon. HURRY THE HELL UP, right?

Poseidon3 said...

Well, it's true that I've been horrendously amiss when it comes to coming here and replying to all your wonderful comments, but I didn't mean for it to be THIS long. I typed out a very long, detailed reply to everyone and later on discovered that for some reason it never went through...! So I'm very sorry to have left y'all hanging.

Gingerguy, I too love 1967 very much. It's the year I was born, so I never got to really witness it all firsthand except from crib level. But I've always been drawn to that time for its visual aesthetic. And "Doctors' Wives" is a HOOT except for those heinous open heart surgery scenes and the fact that Dyan Cannon exits the movie far too soon. BTW, I worked at a beautiful country club from 1995-1997 and I never saw another gay AT ALL except for one salad chef and a few people I wondered about. I was the only "out" person around....! LOL

Rick, if I recall correctly, RJ Wagner was a caddie at a golf course as a youth. Didn't that somehow play into him meeting stars and getting his foot in the door? Can't really remember the details. And I would love to get a glimpse of a very young Gene Hackman sometime, just to see what that is like...!

BryonByron, I grew to enjoy Robert Wagner more as he filled out physically (think "Harper" and "Winning") and his roles began to expand in their breadth as well. And Guy's acting similarly left me less than thrilled, but I thought he was a handsome, sort of burly, man. But I was amused not too long ago when a friend of mine referred to him as "Dean Stockwell's even uglier brother!" LOL I guess my daddy fixation allows for some more leeway in the looks dept than others.

BrianB, I also recall that safety gay from something... not sure what, but he has a very memorable disapproving face! I thought "Banning" had some interesting extras in general because they were all done up in the latest hair and clothing trends, from the gorgeous to the ghastly. It makes observing them fun, sort of like the Promenade Room partygoers in "The Towering Inferno." And Jill's apartment was even WORSE than I chose to show. A horrendous melange of ugly props from who knows how many other movies and shows...! And, yes, I HAD to include that final publicity photo. ha!

Shawny, I'm always so late for dinner. Never heard of Jonathan Adler in my life and had to look him up!

>>>to be continued!

Poseidon3 said...

FilmFan!, that is insane about the songs not nominated....! This one did nothing for me. I believe Trini Lopez recorded it and tried to make something out of it, but I don't know how successful that was. LOL I'm very glad you enjoy this blog. I appreciate it!

Joel, that movie sounds very intriguing! I'll have to look into that. My first exposure to Susan was "Airport 1975" when I was 8! Her hair was a fright in that. But I do recall her string of prestigious TV movies. Her time on "Webster" was tumultuous. It was never meant to be called "Webster" nor was her pint-sized costar meant to be the star. Led to lots of anguish and resentment on her part. Someday I ought to do a post on sitcoms "hijacked" by a supporting player...! Jimmie Walker, Henry Winkler, Michael J Fox!

Polly, I was impressed by Jimmy Farentino's body, too! And this will reveal how shallow a child I was (and I ain't exactly deep now!) -- I adored "Hart to Hart" and thought Jonathan and Jennifer were the end all be all of couples. But I was crushed when Stefanie Powers went from a huge, thick auburn mane to a choppy light red 'do. Ha ha! I couldn't understand that decision at all. My life is truly a MESS at the moment, but I do hope to be back in the swing of things soon. I am reporting back to the office on July 12th and that will give me access to a scanner for the first time in over a year. That means we'll likely have a "Fun Find" again for the first time in ages. Thanks so much and thanks much to ALL of my blog visitors. Happy 4th of July!!

P.S. - Well, that explains it. My first reply was way too long and didn't post and I closed the window without realizing it. This time I made sure it went through...! Sorry again.

Dean W. said...

I'm a little late to the party with this post; but, Mr. Farentino is far fitter, and has a more modern visage, compared with many, if not most, of his peers.

I find it interesting how some stars' looks, and performances, appear fresh and relevant, even today; yet, some, though fabled in their time, seem so dated – such as the overly made-up 'natural look' of female leads from the 1960's, or how a stilted acting-style was the norm, before Stanislavski and Stella Adler brought greater naturalism to the screen.

Poseidon3 said...

Hi Dean and thanks! What always strikes me when it comes to the men is that when they are all gussied up in their period looks, with slick, smoothly-combed hair and so on, they seem of another time, but then you have them messed up - supposed to look horrible and disheveled but they actually seem more contemporary and accessible to a modern viewer! ('Cause we're all more horrible and disheveled? Ha ha!) Like Clark Gable in "Mogambo." Best he ever looked for me. And I was recently watching "Twilight for the Gods." Whenever Rock Hudson was at his physical worst in the story, he looked the best to me! And, of course, "Giant." James Dean when he was out on his little plot of land, all wind-blown and free - his contemporary appeal comes through. Must've been a true sensation to moviegoers, especially with the acting approach you speak of.

Dean W. said...

Thanks for your reply. I see what you're saying; though, in today's bare-all media, the more disheveled someone looks, the less attractive they appear, in my opinion – and I wonder if that's because 'wearing less' is, well, less 'freeing' than it used to be!

Unknown said...

For such a colorful film, the poster is pretty lackluster.

Unknown said...

Also, I've been enjoying your site for years and it's high time I tell you so.

Years ago you dedicated some space to the white haired lady (whose name escapes me for the moment) who has walk-ons in so many films and tv shows. I too, am fascinated by her. For at least 20 years I've been spotting her. My husband and I refer to her as "our lady". When you posted about her I felt vindicated, because people think I'm nuts when I get excited and say "there she is!!!

Also since then I've kept a notebook to document her appearances. Seriously, there's a lot, and the list is still growing.

Poseidon3 said...

Hey there, thanks for commenting! I appreciate the compliment very much. Leoda Richards!!! She pops up EVERYWHERE and it's always fun to see her. I was recently viewing a hideously (and deservedly) obscure Aaron Spelling pilot for a "CHiPs" ripoff called "Beach Patrol" and there she was as one of three old ladies whose lunches had been stolen by a runaway ruffian. I'm glad to know I'm not alone in my fascination with finding her in things. Take care!

Forever1267 said...

I've never heard of this either, but I do want to see it. Also born in 1967, and it is a strange time with so many changes happening in pop culture.

James Farentino has always done things for me. So sexy on "Dynasty"!