Wednesday, August 28, 2019

Top Ten Anniversary: Favorite TV Series

Yes, you're probably beginning to tire of these Top Ten lists, but it must be done! Ha ha! The following programs are the ones that really stuck to me over the years and are my own personal favorites. I don't claim that they are the best, but they speak to me the most. Again, it was hard to whittle the list down, but this is how it panned out.

BARNABY JONES -- First of all, the opening theme song and the introduction of the stars and guest stars. Watching this on grandpa's knee (an appropriate place!) instilled in me a deep affection for most all "Quinn Martin productions," whose shows nearly always began that way (and were divided into "Acts" on screen.) The 1970s were a time for gimmicky detectives: the bald one, the fat one, the one with a cockatoo... This was the old one and even though Mr. Buddy Ebsen lived thirty more years after the show's premiere (!), he was a milk-drinking, supposedly non-threatening geezer. (He was sixty-five at the time of the show's debut!) But he was usually a dead shot with his pistol when the time came. The show, regardless of its real or imagined merits, is so soothing to me to watch. Familiar faces in compelling plot lines with inevitable lines like, "Call Lt. Biddle..." It's comfort food for the brain to me. I adored Lee Meriwether as Ebsen's daughter-in-law receptionist. Less so Mark Shera as a cousin who came on in the fourth season, but he's okay. The real pleasure is seeing people underestimate the old codger until they are tripped up by his forensics and keen intellect. It definitely jumped the shark, though, when Ebsen was shown disco dancing in a late episode!
CHARLIE'S ANGELS -- As a tyke, my bedtime was strictly 9:00pm. Knowing how obsessed I was with Charlie's Angels (the whole world was, it seemed, in 1976!), my mother relented and allowed me to watch it every other Wednesday. However, when previews showed that on my "off" week, the gals were going to be shackled together in a women's prison, my protestations to see the episode were so great that my mom relented and let me watch it (and thereafter I watched it every week... give 'em an inch and they take a mile! Ha ha!) I worshiped Farrah Fawcett, but liked all the Angels, including Shelley Hack, until the last season when the final cast change to Tanya Roberts (and a location shift to Hawaii) turned me off. Watching it now, as I still do on the treadmill, the gals aren't all that hold my attention. The clingy polyester slacks on the men in that era can be real eye-openers!
DYNASTY -- Somewhere out there is bound to be someone who claims to have been a bigger fan of this show than I was, though I can't imagine how. I was utterly, completely OBSESSED with it from almost the moment it started. The fact that it was going to star Linda Evans, who I hadn't seen at all in the interim since The Big Valley and Pamela Sue Martin, who'd figured heavily in The Poseidon Adventure (as well as The Nancy Drew Mysteries) guaranteed that I would be watching the three-hour premiere. The whole notion of a regular gay character was rather mind-blowing to me at age fourteen. Once Joan Collins showed up, it was must-see TV for me and most of the world. I bought every magazine that previewed or profiled the show, called Hollywood long distance to speak to Esther Shapiro directly (!) about a plot line (didn't get through to her... I wonder why not. Ha ha!) and even made certain that my senior prom tuxedo was as close a copy to the morning suits worn to Amanda Carrington's wedding that was possible on my family's budget! The show over the long haul was uneven to say the least and plagued by cast changes, but practically any episode remains fun if only for the clothes and the often chippy dialogue and campy situations.
MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE -- I never saw a single episode of this series in its initial airing or even in reruns (somehow it seemed to disappear in my area for a long while) until one time - late at night - a few episodes began appearing. Eventually, I got the whole series on DVD and became fascinated by the austere performances, the labyrinthine schemes of the missions and just the general team atmosphere, which had always appealed to me from my comic book days. The show was formulaic, but it was a formula that worked. And that theme song!  The show, like more than one Desilu production was racially progressive in that little or no mention was every made about Greg Morris' skin color in the story lines. Cast changes occurred with certain regularity, but generally the concept held up thanks to stalwarts Peter Graves (there after season one for original leader Steven Hill) and Morris hanging in for the long haul. The cool, sleek style of the show (including those wonderful "black & white" apartment sequences) appeals to me greatly.
STAR TREK -- It goes without saying that Gene Roddenberry's short-lived sci-fi series inspired legions of fans into forming a cult of Trekkies Trekkers who've gone on to support a long train of subsequent series and movies.  For me, it all starts and virtually ends with the first show and its vivid colors, passionate performances and glamorous guest stars, often with hair stacked to the stars and diaphanous costumes (by William Ware Theiss) with unusual pieces missing. William Shatner has his detractors, but I happen to love his enthusiastic and heroic line readings. DeForest Kelley's cantankerous doctor is my favorite (apart from the elegant Nichelle Nichols), but I also appreciate the iconic performance of Leonard Nimoy as the emotionless Mr. Spock. Grace Lee Whitney's towering basket-weave hairstyle as Yeoman Rand helped solidify my obsession with such things. I was so captivated by the uniforms of the Starship Enterprise that, as a bored teen working at Wendy's, I used to picture all the customers in the dining room wearing them, after deciding which of the three colors would look best on them, of course!
THE BIG VALLEY -- As a kid with abandonment issues, nothing hit home quite like the extremely strong familial bond of The Barkleys, especially the way they took in a bastard son of the deceased father and made him one of their own. (This development alone was a bit prickly for TV in 1965.) The show went off the air when I was two, so I never saw it until mid-day reruns years later when I became enthralled with the sweeping musical intro, the highly telegenic cast and its wealth of dramatic story material. I thought no one on earth was more beautiful than the Barbie-like Linda Evans or more handsome than blue-eyed Lee Majors. Iron-clad Barbara Stanwyck, fiery Peter Breck and even handed Richard Long completed the quintet (and complimented one another grandly.) Toss in extraordinarily good guest stars and some wondrous music within each episode and it was a total winner in my eyes. To this day, disliking my own last name incredibly, I give "Barkley" to hostesses in restaurants. And I'm still looking to kiss a Jarrod and a Nick, having already tackled the seemingly tougher ones: Victoria, Audra and Heath! LOL
THE CAROL BURNETT SHOW -- Part of my childhood viewing that stayed in my head and heart, I don't think there was anyone as multi-talented as Carol Burnett. Not only that, she was careful to surround herself with stellar supporting cast members such as Harvey Korman, Vicki Lawrence and Tim Conway, who all complimented her - and each other - terrifically. And early costar Lyle Waggoner was easy on the eyes to be sure. So many incredible characterizations were created on the show whether it be from the many spot-on movie parodies, Mr. Tudball & Mrs. Wiggins, the dotty Stella Toddler, Nora Desmond, the ham actors Funt and Mundane, Conway's old (old!) man and, of course, Eunice Higgins and her crazy family.  Naturally, over time, some of the topical and pop culture humor is diffused, but most of these sketches remain hilarious. Long missing from rerun broadcasts are the huge musical productions that usually closed the weekly show and those are often quite a spectacle to behold (in no small part thanks to the show's incredible costumer Bob Mackie.) Like most of the shows that comprise this list, it was the cast chemistry that truly put this in a class of its own.
THE COLBYS -- With people like Charlton Heston, Katharine Ross, Ricardo Montalban and Barbara Stanwyck among the cast as promised, there was no way I was going to miss the premiere of (what was then called) Dynasty II: The Colbys. (That theme song!!) Whatever glamour Dynasty had, and it had tons, this show outdid, especially at a time when the parent show had managed to saddle Joan Collins with a story line that had her dressed down to the point of being in a nun's habit! This was the year that Dynasty slipped from #1 and never fully recovered. The Colbys was a grand, old-fashioned, meaty family drama and power struggle with (sometimes lunatic) secrets and rivalries. Unfortunately, though I grew to appreciate her own charms, Emma Samms as the long-lost Fallon was positively 180 degrees different in nearly every conceivable area than her predecessor Pamela Sue Martin, which turned a lot of people off. A visibly frail Stanwyck's premature departure was another big hit to the show's life. But there will never be anyone like Stephanie Beacham's Sable Colby, a standout amid the gargantuan cast, as noted elsewhere. For that I will always be devoted to the show.
THE GOLDEN GIRLS -- When I speak of chemistry among a cast, this is the pinnacle of it. It makes no difference if Bea Arthur and Betty White bristled a bit behind the scenes. On screen they, along with Rue McClanahan and Estelle Getty, worked extraordinarily well together and generated a hit that, on paper, seemed impossible to the network chiefs: four older ladies living together in a house in Miami, Florida. An expert pilot paved the way for a terrific run in which each gal won an Emmy and created comic hijinks that one can safely say are broadcast almost every hour of every day, time and again, worldwide. Golden Girls fans know all the lines by heart and quote them all the time. We know each other. If we say the cue, another fan knows the punchline. Among my own favorite installments are the ones in which: Dorothy's friend is a lesbian, Dorothy's son is marrying an older black woman, Blanche's brother is gay, the ladies are posing for a sculptor, Blanche and Sophia are dating the same man, Rose dates a dwarf and the ladies are set to meet Burt Reynolds at a film premiere. But it's like choosing a favorite child. There's something great in practically all the episodes (though I am devoted to seasons 1 through 4, before expert director Terry Hughes left, versus the remaining ones.)
THE LOVE BOAT -- Again, the blend/chemistry of the cast made a huge impact on the success of a show, but as able as they are, the crew of the boat are not the reason why I love this show... it's the PARADE OF GUEST STARS! Several series did it, from the more dramatic Fantasy Island to the more elegant Hotel and even the delightful Murder, She Wrote, but The Love Boat was key in unearthing great stars that young Hollywood generally had no interest in, but which nostalgic TV viewers enjoyed giving the once-over to after their time in the sun had passed. While its true that a few old-timers held out and didn't take a cruise, more often than not, any old star who could still draw breath popped up on at least one episode of this show during the course of its long run. Sometimes, if the performer was musically inclined, he or she even got to perform (as in the case of Carol Channing, Ethel Merman and Ann Miller - all at once!) They even excavated long-absent, two-time Oscar-winning Best Actress Luise Rainer, fer cryin' out loud! Much of this was surely due to producer Aaron Spelling, who was a busy 1950s character actor and party host before he turned mega-producer, calling upon old friends to appear on his series.

BONUS PICS!

The initial threesome who made up Charlie's Angels were photographed endlessly as they promoted the TV-movie pilot and eventual series. I thought this one was fun. (The pilot, by the way, was expected to tank, but brought in HUGE numbers. Even then the execs could hardly believe it so they re-ran it two weeks later, thinking it was a fluke, but the ratings were even higher still! So the series moved forward.)
This looks more like something out of Eyes of Laura Mars (1978) than an Angels promo. Clearly the exact style and concept of the show had not been completely honed, even taking into consideration that this was inspired by Helmut Newton (who himslef photographed Fawcett and, later, Smith for publication.)
Raise your hand if you remember "Angels '88" (which was later retitled "Angels '89" due to production delays before being abandoned completely!) Among the carefully-selected, but doomed to being unseen, Angels were Téa Leoni and Claire Yarlett. Dig the fun brooch on the gal with the ginormous shoulder pads!
It's just tough to beat that initial combination of gals...
I liked this shot of Linda Evans and John Forsythe because it's a rare one with Linda's hair much softer (and smaller!) and her eyes look terrific in it.
Just one shot of the four albums I have that are crammed full of Dynasty and The Colbys clippings/photos.
I saved every single picture of any star who was on the show and every picture from the show. If a magazine had photos on back-to-back pages, I bought two copies...! (Now I know where my youth went!)
I give you a campy portrait of spy supreme Cinnamon Carter, as portrayed by Barbara Bain.
Here's a second, even more random - though glamorous - portrait from the shoot. You can read more about Bain right here.
Strange elements in the posing for this The Big Valley portrait. Note the monochromatic blouse and pants (courtesy of Nolan Miller) on Linda Evans' Audra Barkley which would later become a staple of her Krystle Carrington wardrobe as well, often in tones of burgundy and blue.
The transformation of Audra Barkley from golden-haired colt to Brushfire Barbie (under the direction of new husband John Derek, who enjoyed crafting all his women into the same basic ideal...!)
A later version of the cast of The Love Boat. Pat Klous had replaced a substance-addicted Lauren Tewes for two seasons, Jill Whelan as Gavin McLeod's daughter had grown up to be an assistant and humpy Ted McGinley was brought on as ship's photographer.
Were you one of the seven people who watched The Love Boat: The Next Wave?  Doomed from the start thanks to a telegenic, but uninspired, cast, it also suffered the blow of star Robert Urich developing cancer during its run (which he bravely fought through, eventually appearing without hair in the wake of treatments.) Few guest stars of note came aboard, though one episode did reunite members of the first show's cast. The Love Boat ran for 250 episodes. The Next Wave ran for 25...
No matter how humiliating, did you really think I was going to refrain from sharing my senior prom photo with it's "design on a dime" approximation of the Moldavian massacre wedding suits?! Ha ha! Remember... I did say OBSESSED. But that's what TV has the power to do to us sometimes, then and now. I hope you enjoyed this post.

8 comments:

Gingerguy said...

I thought you were kidding about the Moldavian tuxedo...Wow! that is impressive. Is that called a morning suit? (trivia-black and white tuxedos aren't supposed to be worn before 6 p.m. for formal events so you are actually appropriately attired for the daytime).
I have tried, even recently, to explain the appeal of Charlie's Angels and people just don't get it. There was such a dearth of glamour in those years especially if you grew up on 60's reruns where everyone looks gorgeous, that when the Angels showed up it was lightning in a bottle. My best friend's Sister had the disco version of the theme song on a 45 and we used to sit in her room and play it over and over. I used to bring down the house because I knew all the words to "The Miss Chrysanthemum Festival Pageant" which I would be begged to sing in bars in my youth (I almost wrote gay bars, but that would be the definition of redundant). I don't think I ever watched an episode with Tanya Roberts but she gets respect from me for being a Bond girl and starring in the incredible for so many reasons "Sheena of the Jungle".
Lol the phone call to Esther Shapiro. We must know more!!! was it a plot suggestion or a hole you discovered and wanted her to rectify?
Peter Lupus still gives me a boner, along with the hairdo photo you featured of guest star Sally-Ann Howe. And how!
I recently went to a Pierre Cardin exhibit and there was a giant monitor showing an episode of Star Trek that showed the influence he had on futurism as depicted on television. The episode had major hair so I was transfixed.
The Colby's was like the icing on my Dynasty Cake. It almost seemed too good to be true and I enjoyed it while it lasted. I know how much you love Sable, if you haven't already seen "Tam Lin" she's young and beautiful in it.
Thanks for the bonus shots! Rounding out my recent Farrah film fest I still give Saturn 3 a thumbs up and Sunburn a thumbs down. I really connected to this post, thanks so much for it.

Shawny said...

I was aware of Charlie’s Angels as a kid, but didn’t watch it much. I was confused about the voice of Charlie and the little speaker, though it probably was more about being somewhat dim witted and lacking attention span.

The love boat was a show I enjoyed. I loved the silly humor like Nancy Walker saying to the staff carrying her luggage “Drop that grandfather clock and you’ll never live to be one.” My cousins and I would laugh together repeating that stuff. We used to sit on the floor when we watched TV which was also on the floor, the big old Zenith encased in wood, it was considered a piece of furniture. And for me it was a symbol of status missing in my own home. My cousin’s had everything in my eyes, the station wagon, the first microwave, the first VCR.

I hope you post a top ten of game shows btw. I admit game shows were my staple programming as a child. The theme to The Price is Right is so interwoven in my DNA, one could probably use it to subliminally control me.

My top 10 TV show list from my childhood would be:
The Price is Right
Super Password
Family Feud (am completely grossed out now by Richard Dawson)
I Love Lucy
The Brady Bunch
Eight is Enough
That’s Incredible
Battlestar Galactica
The Hardy Boys & Nancy Drew
The Popeye Show

My list is completely lacking in anything campy or gay haha. And I’m probably forgetting some shows. But my maturity in taste came a lot later in life. Of the other shows on your list I did love the Golden Girls and Carol Burnett. But never have seen any of the others. My husband made me watch the Dynasty pilot and I was greatly surprised and impressed. But I haven’t watched any more. I do want to, there’s just not much time nowadays with such amazing TV.

BTW, did you design your date’s dress as well? That pic is hilarious. You were cute, and I can tell you were a fun time. I’m curious about what your date’s hair looked like...

Dan said...

Never got into the soap opera shows, but loved Mission Impossible, Man From Uncle, Laugh-In, Tarzan with Ron Ely (well, with Ron Ely’s loincloth) and all those marvelous variety shows like Flip Wilson, Hollywood Palace and of course la Burnett. Gosh, there used to be so much music on TV!

I had the only TV on my floor at college (yes, it was the late Pleistocene period). Each Saturday from 10 to 11 My room would be crammed with dozens of kids watching Carol Burnett. After she tugged her ear goodnight, we’d tap the keg, then everyone would cram back in to watch Saturday Night Live.

It is a shame that the rebroadcasts of her shows cut out all the musical numbers. Oh well there is always YouTube.

Poseidon3 said...

Gingerguy, I never kid about Moldavia... Ha ha ha! Yes! Morning suit. I'm actually about to don one again in less than two weeks for a dream sequence in "Mamma Mia!" I am going to have to hire someone to work you over for making me recall, "Hi there, hello. We're glad that you could show for the Chrysanthemum Festival Pageant!!!!" I tried and tried to wrack my pea brain over what had me in such a lather back in 1986 that I called freakin' Hollywood over it! It was a storyline suggestion/ connection. I thought it was such a brainstorm at the time. I feel like it had something to do with Amanda or Dominique, probably Amanda. They couldn't accept any idea submissions that way, naturally...! It may come to me some day, but hasn't yet. I'm glad you liked most of the content of this one. :-)

Oh, Shawny! My grandparents had a console TV like that. Even with the smaller, square picture, somehow it gave the unit a sense of prominence or importance in the living room (I guess entertainment centers sort of replaced that concept, but even now those are on the way out for the most part.) Remember the long, huge "wooden" stereo consoles with the lids that lifted up?! So arduous just to listen to records!!! LOL I find ALL of the music from "The Price is Right" intoxicating, but I completely reject Drew Carey and the current audiences of that show. I loved "Eight is Enough!" I watched all the shows you noted. I deliberately obscured my date (who was my school's homecoming queen!) because I wasn't sure she'd want to be broadcast around the globe that way. True story: I had a girlfriend I adored who was a sophomore when I was a senior. She told me she was wearing a (very fashion-forward) short black & white polka dotted dress with black gloves and a hat...! I said "no way" and she insisted and finally we broke up over it and I took a date I knew would have all the cake-topper, frosting sort of look I was wanting!! Her hair was long and thick, curly and blonde with a bauble holding part of it back (and it still is thick and blonde, but in a great bob.) She looks amazing to this day. (She still says that it was the most fun date she was ever on, BTW!) But it took me ages to get over that girlfriend, who began dating another guy not long after and, though we tried once on a choir trip to make it work again, they stayed together till I was graduated and gone... #forksintheroad

Dan, Ron Ely was soooo close to making it into my TV Hunks list solely based on his abbreviated loincloth from "Tarzan!" But I've yet to ever see a full episode of it. Hey, I had a big, ugly, black & white portable TV in my dorm room... had to see most of "Dynasty" and "The Colbys" in b&w that first couple of months! :-)

hsc said...

Some of my fondest memories are of watching "The Carol Burnett Show" as a kid with my parents, and then years later watching "The Golden Girls" with them as an adult when I moved back home for a few years.

Mom and Dad had the same sense of humor I do, so the three of us would be reduced to helplessness laughing at Tim Conway ad-libbing and causing his castmates to lose it, or the exchanges between Betty, Bea, Rue, and Estelle.

Thanks for another great list! I'm really enjoying these Top Tens for your 10th!

Poseidon3 said...

hsc, I'm happy that you liked some of the shows on this list. I'm not a prude (at all!), but I loved the fact that "The Carol Burnett Show" was so clean. Family entertainment. But also not stodgy or sterile. Carol tried to come back a number of ways on TV, but once the ship had sailed (and public tastes had shifted) it was too late. (Also, let's face it, she just wasn't QUITE as wacky-looking once she'd had her jaw redone. She became more focused on looking good than looking hilarious. Still, she is TV royalty and was so, so talented.)

SkippyDevereaux said...

I thought then and still do, that Mark Shera was HOT. Furry chest and somewhat tight pants, not Bubba Higgins tight, but close enough. I also thought that Mark was his handsomenest in a couple of episodes of "Murder She Wrote". "Capitol Offense" and "Murder Through the Looking Glass". MMMMM. I loved his character's name in the first episode--Thor Danziger!! Funny how certain character names stick in your brain.

Poseidon3 said...

Skippy, I just happen to be watching season 2 of "Murder, She Wrote" and Mark Shera was in the opening 2-parter. He was filled out and more handsome than I ever recalled...! But, sadly, wasn't featured all that heavily and all we ever saw was a glimpse of chest hair at the neckline of his shirt. Thanks!