Thursday, November 29, 2018

Will You "Love, Simon?"

Regularly visitors to The Underworld are keenly aware that I never, but never, profile contemporary movies or TV shows. Every once in a while something may slip in, but my content is almost exclusively vintage. I do occasionally push aside the rock which serves as my gateway to the surface world and partake in a modern-day entertainment, but it is rare indeed. (As an example, I am only just now - a scant fourteen years after its premiere - viewing season one of Desperate Housewives for the first time!) The reason I am departing from form is because I watched a 2018 movie last night that, for reasons I will share, kept me awake almost all night afterwards. It wasn't that it upset me or anything. It just caused a tidal wave of long-buried feelings to wash over me and the ruminations on them kept me up. The movie was Love, Simon.

I approached Love, Simon with the same trepidation that I do any current form of scripted entertainment. I figure I'm going to be pelted with all sorts of hipster, too-cool-for-the-room dialogue, idiotic situations and self-indulgent performances. I can't say that the movie was utterly free of these things, but I will say that, for me anyway, the good outweighed the bad. Based upon a young adult novel called "Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda," I'm not necessarily the target audience for the high school-set movie, though I think its appeal is not only rather universal, but also fairly important. (Several folks agreed, such as Neil Patrick Harris, Jesse Tyler Ferguson and even people with only two names like Kristen Bell and Matt Bomer, who all bought out theaters in their hometowns in order to offer viewings of the film to as many people as possible.) I should mention that I will not reveal any considerable spoilers herein. I try to avoid those in general, but certainly want to for a film this recent.

The central figure of the film is played by Nick Robinson, a high school senior in an upper middle class Atlanta, Georgia suburb. The young man is bright, appealing, reasonably popular and comfortable in all but one way. He has a secret, one that he's kept hidden for close to a decade. He's gay.

He lives with his family, a liberal-minded child psychologist mother (Jennifer Garner), a proud, sensitive, wise-cracking father (Josh Duhamel) and a younger sister (Talitha Bateman) who is obsessed with trying out recipes every day after having watched every episode of the cooking reality series Chopped. (The novel contained an older sister who is not included in the movie.)

He also has a close gang of friends who he drives to school each day, stopping for iced coffee along the way. They include Katherine Langford as his best female pal since childhood, Jorge Lendeborg Jr. as his closest male buddy, and Alexandra Shipp as a transfer student from Washington, D.C. who has rather seamlessly entered their close-knit gaggle.

As far as anyone knows, there is only one "out" gay student at their school, and he is way out! Clark Moore (of Glee) wears his long hair in a feminine style and is always draped in designer duds, leading to a fair amount of ribbing from classmates, notably two troublemakers who can't seem to leave him alone.

Class clown and general all-around annoyance Logan Miller has an attraction to Shipp, but she barely knows he's alive (this despite the fact that they are about to play the Emcee and Sally Bowles together in a school production of Cabaret, presided over by a sassy black teacher.)

One day a tattletale blog called Creekwood Secrets contains an anonymous post from a student at Robinson's high school who admits to being gay, comparing it to being on a Ferris wheel, with a series of highs and lows. The poster is known only as "Blue."

Robinson is compelled to create an e-mail account, using the pseudonym "Jacques," and reach out to "Blue" in order to share the fact that he is in the same boat. The two begin to correspond, with each successive e-mail becoming more enlightening and drawing the two closer, though they have no idea of each other's identity.

The school principal, who while maintaining authority also seems to want to be everyone's buddy, has a strict "no cellphone in the halls" policy and confiscates Robinson's phone while he's awaiting his latest message from "Blue."

Using one of the school computers to check his mail, Robinson is interrupted and leaves his e-mail screen up as he departs. Miller happens to use the computer next and can hardly believe what he sees. Soon, he's after Robinson to help him land Shipp as a girlfriend "or else..."

Robinson, dressed up as John Lennon for a huge Halloween party, begins to manipulate his friends in order to get Miller in with them and to quash feelings that otherwise might be developing between Shipp and Lendeborg.
I wasn't about to ignore this brief Speedo incident.
Shipp hasn't got the slightest interest in Miller and, thanks to his offbeat personality, would prefer not to have him around at all, but out of fear from repercussions, Robinson persists in putting them together whenever possible. (Shipp is dressed in a Wonder Woman variation while Miller is a "Freudian Slip!")

Robinson's lenient parents allow Langford to spend the night in his room, realizing that they've been lifelong, platonic friends, though Langford seems to be grappling with feelings that go beyond their accepted boundaries.

Still struggling with not only the behavior he's being coerced into but also his fears about coming out to his family, friends and classmates, Robinson reveals to "Blue" that he had intended to wait until after graduation, whereupon he could attend college completely out. (This leads to a musical daydream in which he is surrounded on all sides by colorful dancers as he attends college for the first time.)

Bursting to get his secret off his chest to someone "real," he suddenly informs Shipp of his sexual identity. As she has lived in far more urban and cosmopolitan surroundings, she takes the news with little to no concern or surprise.

In a situation many of us can probably identify with, Robinson awaits each missive from "Blue" with bated breath, keeping his phone near his bed, near the shower, never wanting to miss a message from the person who he by now has developed deep feelings for. But who is it??? The film cleverly keeps this a mystery by changing the identity of the other student based upon Robinson's own suspicions or by having red herrings nearby throughout the story.
Any of these guys look "Blue" to you?
When Miller feels he has gotten far along enough with Shipp to publicly declare his affection, things take a turn for the worst. Before the dust has settled, Robinson's sexuality has found its way to the Creekwood Secrets blog and his life is in danger of crumbling down around him thanks not only to the fact that he's gay, but also that he toyed with the feelings of his friends.

He's left with no choice but to come out to his parents. No matter how liberal one's parents might seem to be, there is still for most people, the fear that they are not going to take things as openly as one might hope. I won't share any more about the movie's storyline because there is still plenty to go and I wouldn't want to ruin it for a first time viewer. I've deliberately avoided certain details for that same reason.

Robinson, about twenty-two at the time of filming, is highly convincing as a high school teen. A cast member of the sitcom Melissa & Joey (i.e. - Melissa Joan Hart and Joey Lawrence) from 2010 to 2015, he also had a featured role in Jurassic World (2015.) He gives a soulful, understated, often relatable performance in Simon (and has a full workload of movies in front of him as of this writing.)

I guess I'm just getting old and don't realize it yet, but I was pretty shocked to see Garner and Duhamel as the parents of an eighteen year-old. However, they are of completely feasible age for that to be the case. (They'd have been around twenty-three at the time of his birth.) In my (feeble) mind, they are only just past being young themselves!

Garner began acting on screen in 1995, winning attention for her role on Alias (2001-2006) which was parlayed into a movie career with projects like Daredevil (2003) and Elektra (2005.) After a long string of features, she recently returned to TV again with Camping. If I ever did buy into her little girl pucker act, I quit it when she had an affair with her Alias costar while she was wed to Scott Foley, so I was prepared for the worst from her. However, even through a Botoxed face and pursed mouth, she managed to impart some strong emotion into her role, particularly in a scene that was written at her request when she came on board the project.

Duhamel got started on All My Children and shifted to movies (including the teen idol rom-com Win a Date with Ted Hamilton!, 2004) and the series Las Vegas. He's balanced TV and movies ever since with success. In Simon, he's one very hot daddy! He also, while occasionally laying on the schtick just a teensy bit thick, gives a solid, enjoyable performance.

Langford, an Australian in her early-twenties, seamlessly morphs into an American teen here. A relative newcomer, she was nominated for a Golden Globe for her TV series 13 Reasons Why (losing to The Handmaid's Tale's Elizabeth Moss) and has a full schedule ahead of her at this time. She was excellent in Simon and has such pretty eyes.

Shipp is among the oldest of the actors playing teens here (in her mid-twenties), though it doesn't immediately stand out that way. Having worked on Days of Our Lives, played the title role in the TV-movie Aaliyah: The Princess of R&B (2014) and portrayed Storm in X-Men: Apocalypse (2016), she, like her costars, has all sorts of movies lined up. She brought an infectious friendliness to her role in Simon.

Lendeborg is a newcomer with only a handful of prior credits, but did appear in 2017's Spider-Man: Homecoming and is in the forthcoming Bumblebee (2018) with Hailee Steinfeld. He brought a natural charm to his underwritten role here.

As someone who has little use for children, especially cloying child actors, it came as a delightful surprise that I enjoyed Bateman so much in her part as the little sister. Already a busy performer in quite a few films since 2012, we're going to be hearing more from her, no doubt. This role has a built-in risk of being too cutesy and precious, but her extreme natural charm (and chops when they were needed) allayed any issues.
This scene was the first of four times that I teared up.
The high school (and its inhabitants) depicted in this movie are idealized to be sure. This is meant to be a teen romance along the lines of such John Hughes movies such as Sixteen Candles (1984) and Pretty in Pink (1986), but with the gay angle. Nevertheless, this unexpectedly resounded with me and brought back a tidal wave of memories from my own years in high school. (I drove two or three girls to school each day, too, though coffee was never on our radar.) I went through my own Ferris wheel of highs and lows and by the time of my 1985 graduation, I'd finally been able to balance school work, part-time work and social life beautifully and was in an ideal situation (but for the fact of my own deep secret I'd held - and tried to change - since I was six.) The day I was graduated, I cried like a baby because I knew that the insular, comfortable world I had been existing in was going to end forever. And it did. Within months, I was thirty pounds heavier, cut off from nearly all friends and seriously on the verge of suicide. Coming out in 1985 - during the fever pitch of the AIDS crisis when gay sex practically equaled death and being gay often equaled disassociation from many (most?) people (in the mid-west anyway) - was an almost insurmountable hurdle. And I was one incurably naive eighteen year-old to be certain.

The calm before the storm.
I did eventually come out to friends and coworkers in 1989 and it was still tough. Later, I tackled my mother and father. You hear about gay men worrying that their parents will freak out if they know, but then it all works out all right in the end? Well, in my case, with divorced parents, my father took the news calmly but declared that the subject would never be raised again and my mother went off the rails, with the two of us in a screaming match in the middle of a busy road, going for months without speaking afterwards. So, yes, even with a light romantic movie like this, there was enough material in it to tug at my heartstrings over my own long ago teenage years. I was driven to tears four times during the first viewing of Love, Simon. They were good tears, though. (And I've always been a big crybaby at movies. Madame X, 1966, is a top ten favorite and I fall for it every time!) I can encourage anyone who hasn't been completely overtaken with cynicism to give Love, Simon a shot. While it contains some cliches of the genre and some pat situations, I feel it's still unique and well done enough to warm the heart. If it changes/opens even one mind, it's a roaring success as far as I'm concerned.

12 comments:

Gingerguy said...

I loved Simon. Just watched last month and have been turning other people on who might have missed it. It seemed at the time to be a gamble for the studio who made it, as it got a wide release and was (I think) the first same sex romantic comedy aimed at the young. Lol on name checking two namers, I am always tickled by three name actors. Have you done a post on that yet?
I loved Clark Moore's character. There are so many flavors of the rainbow so it was good to see a young man who wasn't necessarily straight "passing". I cringed and laughed at the Principals' faux pas, and Clark coming out to his girlfriends was a scream. It really followed the John Hughes template in a clever way.
I drove 3 girls to school every day (are we all exactly the same?) and between us screaming gossip over the blaring radio, and stopping for pancakes those are some of my only good H.S. memories.
I was very touched by your own experience, mine was opposite but we all land hopefully in a place of better acceptance of ourselves. My graduation day was still the happiest of my life as I could finally breathe since I was going to College in a different place and could be out and myself. I remember what I wore exactly and what was on the radio on the way to graduation.
Jennifer Garner seems to have cornered the market on empathy and seems to always get a monologue in every movie I see her in similar to this one. I thought both Parents were nuanced for a teen comedy. Thanks for breaking tradition and mentioning this movie, I think it was an important one and entertaining.

loulou de la falaise said...

I enjoyed this movie too and was very happy to read about it with your insight and humor (LOL 3 names vs 2 names). I especially liked the parents and the little sister (Yay Chopped). I try to watch as many gay themed movies that are out there and am always glad to come across a real studio motion picture as opposed to the independent cheapies. Ideal Home with Paul Rudd and Steve Coogan was another nice surprise, and plan on seeing The Cakemaker. And thank you so much for sharing your personal story, my heart goes out to you. I guess I had it pretty easy. I can't say I have ever been mistaken for a heterosexual but never got any real crap about it.

Gingerguy said...

Me again, there was another stealth gem in that genre this year. "Blockers" is a female take on 80's teen sex comedies. Three girls with a pact. Really funny with great cast, some great cameos, and a gay theme that didn't make it to the advertising for some reason. John Cena as an over emotional Dad is not too hard to look at either.

loulou de la falaise said...

And, I got hooked on 13 Reasons Why, Season 1. Katherine Langford was excellent.

Dave in Hollywood said...

I saw Love Simon in the movie theater twice. I was wary the first time and enthusiastic by the end and brought my man with me the second time. I had read the book and thought it was good enough, but not really memorable. I think the movie was actually better, and you can't say that often.

I mean this isn't top notch cinema, but who needs a bummer like Brokeback Mountain or Happy Together all the time? I'd much rather watch Love Simon! ;-)

Shawny said...

Love, Simon made me cry, to the point where I was sort of dehydrated afterwards. That last 30 minutes was tough. But my tears were made up of a unique combination of love for the Simon character and what was happening for him, shock that I was feeling catered to by a movie studio, and sadness that I am 47 and have a huge disconnect with my adolescence because of how the closet deprived me of any hope for a smooth transition into my adult life. And there’s probably more than that I’m missing. It was quite a catharthis, coming from a film that could have been a direct to video leftover. I will never forget this film.

Poseidon3 said...

Hello, everyone! So glad to see that several of you have watched this movie at least once and liked it.

Gingerguy, you know what's craziest? How I got up and got ready for school (and in my day we GOT READY for school... shower, shave, blow-dry, coordinated clothing! LOL), then still had time to drop by each person's house and still make it to school with time to spare...! Nowadays, if I stop for coffee - as I usually do on Fridays - I risk being late enough to get docked 15 minutes! I guess I had more energy then. And you got PANCAKES??

loulou (and Gingerguy as well), thanks for the various recommendations of other movies of a similar vein! In trying to think back to when I was a teen, I think "Making Love" was the only movie to come out - so to speak! - that I really recall and I think people were sort of afraid to go see it (and some that did didn't like it.) I recall how awesome it was when something like "Maurice" came along (not having been able to really relate much to "My Beautiful Launderette.")

Dave, I agree with you. I like downbeat films sometimes, but then other times you just want your heart to be lifted instead of broken.

Shawn, I get you! Sometimes the way a movie's storyline and presentation come together, it just unlocks something inside us and it begins to pour out! Most of the time when that happens to me, I feel better afterwards. Sort of a release of pent up feelings. Other times I get a bit haunted for a while. But it's neat when cinematic art can affect us that deeply.

Scooter said...

I can really identify with your coming out story. Mine is a variation on theme. For all the social progress made over the last 30+ years, I wonder if it is truly any easier these days for young men and women to come to terms with their sexuality? I suppose, like many other things, there is a spectrum of experience.

angelman66 said...

Aww, Poseidon, your high school pics are adorable!!
I agree with you about Love, Simon; it was very sweet and I look forward to seeing it again.
Of course, your post also makes me want to watch Madame X from 1966 again as well!!
-Chris

Poseidon3 said...

Hi, Scooter, and thanks! I think I would say that it is easier than it WAS, but still not ideal in many places. I run into young teens these days who throw around terms like "gay," "bi" and "pan" in ways that would simply never have happened in my time. We had ONE person in my school who was suspected of being gay (he was) and it was whispered about like some dire secret. Naturally, there were dozens more who were just tight-lipped (so to speak!) about it! LOL But acceptance then would have been close to nil. I think it's gotten somewhat better than that, especially when you can often take a same-sex partner to prom which was never going to happen where I lived.

Thanks, angelman! I, too, suddenly wanted to see Miss Lana do her thing, but I'm just too busy to get to it now. And there's a stockpile of things I have never seen that are awaiting my perusal. :-)

Musicals4Ever said...

Well I just turned 21 so this film captures a time in my life that's still fresh in my memory. This film... is such a... relief? As out of place as that sentiment is when describing a film, let me try to explain. I do watch a lot of gay themed films, and unfortunately mostly do fall into the two categories of tear jerker or sex romp. There's always a time for either, but Love, Simon is such a 'normal' film, as much as I'm loath to use that word. It's an average, everyday, relatable, this could be you story that I'm just cacoon ed in a warm blanket every time I think of it.

I love a film with a protagonist has to take responsibility for their actions and have to make amends and put things right. This film was clever in the way the fall out between the friends being mostly about Simon lying and manipulating them, not about him gay. There's this line Katherine Langford said, something like 'I can deal with you being gay, but not what you did.' I dunno, I really like that. Most films would have a homophobia as the main antagonist, but this film is about growing up, building self esteem and being a generally decent human being.

I adore the scene with the university musical phantasy. I had the sane and now that I'm in uni I can chuckle back at naive little me.

I have heard criticism that this film was not inclusive enough... like the main character was too straight passing. I'd say the film mains purpose was to be as widely appealing as possible, and to show that it's just like what most teens go through, so I don't find it too annoying. I mean I always have the delightful GBF to watch when I'm in the mood for a fey gay high school movie. Lol.

Do you have any recommendations for gay high school or young adult movies from the 70s or 80s?

Poseidon3 said...

Musicals.Rock., I had no idea you were still a pup compared to me (and many of my readers here!) I loved your comments, opinions and reflections on the film. One thing I will say is that I feel it is wrong for anyone to accuse a homosexual of seeming "too straight." We come in all sorts of shapes, sizes and attitudes and I think that too many people want to apply a certain sensibility, label or behavior scheme onto all of us and in some cases, it just doesn't apply. We have to be who we are and for every one that wants to carry a purse, there's one who likes construction boots better, with everything in-between (to stretch a point.) I recall the first time I really went OUT to gay bars, I was stunned at the variety of types of men I saw. I mean blown away because I, myself, had a narrow view of what gay people looked and acted like. As for movie recommendations... Lord! When I was a young'n, I don't even know that there WERE any such movies. We had things like "Meatballs," "Little Darlings," "Foxes," "Porky's" and "My Bodyguard." Anyone gay was usually on board for comic relief. If anyone else in the comment section knows anything, please share! Thanks.