Wednesday, June 27, 2018

Delving Below the Surface

Longtime readers will recall a couple of podcasts I took part in two years ago (here and here.) In them I yak on and on about movies, television and myself... Last week, I recorded another one which can be listened to at this link. Again the origin of Poseidon's Underworld is revealed and a wide variety of showbiz topics are touched upon.

I share this link for those of you who might like to listen, though I feel the need to explain that I was not on my game this day at all...! I was suffering from an upper respiratory infection and was only 1-1/2 days into a heady regimen of steroids and antibiotics and just didn't feel (or sound!) particularly sharp. The first several minutes are, in fact, painful to me simply because I don't seem to know what the hell I'm talking about, no matter the topic! LOL (Perhaps it's always that way and I just don't realize it until I hear it for myself in all its "glory.") In fact, I'm still on said prescriptions nine days later...!

In this podcast, we discuss Hollywood scandals and tragedies (including little-known cowboy star-turned-murderer Spade Cooley, who I idiotically refer to as "Slade" Cooley in the discussion!)...

The Cassidys, including David Cassidy and Shirley Jones of The Partridge Family, as well as Jones' husband Jack Cassidy and one of their three sons together, Shaun Cassidy. Jones' fairly recent kerfuffle with Joan Collins is touched upon as well.

There are also references to child stars like Jay North of Dennis the Menace and tearjerkers like A Tree Grows in Brooklyn...

...and to recent Underworld profilees Michael Forest and Michael Dante, including why they received such an "honor." These and plenty of other people and projects are reflected upon.

If you listen, I hope you enjoy it. It would be better had I not been so ill. It would be better if I was a bit sharper. It would be better if I were not getting old and half senile... As Dorothy Zbornak once exclaimed to Rose Nylund, "It would be better with SHELLEY HACK, Rose! Just turn it on...."
  
The pics below are ones I took from my spot at the David Cassidy concert. Oh, and if you listened long enough to get to it and wonder, actress Mabel Albertson (Darrin's mother on Bewitched) was the mother-in-law of Cloris Leachman and grandmother to Cloris' five children with George Englund.

7 comments:

Kevin Keane said...

Just listened to the great TOST podcast and I could write a short story commenting on so many of the topics. The one topic (why are they stars?) is one I will mention. Robert Young; he had such a long movie career playing the same character again and again. A range from A to B. I read an interview with him in a Leonard Maltin newsletter from his home in Westlake, CA. Young badmouthed people he worked with at MGM but not Louis B. He saves some special venom for Judy Garland. He claims Judy did everything to herself, there was no one else to blame.
Barbara Bel Geddes from “I Remember Mama” is another one I can’t fathom why she had such a long career. Every movie she’s in she stunk up her part. “I Remember Mama” is at its most uneven when she is performing her low key histrionics. Everyone else (mostly character actors) in the film shines and does some of their best work ever for George Stevens.

Gingerguy said...

I listened to this at lunch today. We are our own worst critics, as I think you sound very knowledgeable, and your unfortunate infection gave you a pleasant timbre to listen to. I love the $2 book binge, I would go nuts. I laughed at the Gloria Grahame "cottonmouth" stories. The angry piano player usurped by Scott Thorson in Liberace was the delicious Cheyanne Jackson. You rocked my world with the Buffy styling head. I think we had one or someone I know did. Will have to look that up. And lately I can't swing a dead cat without hitting "The Enchanted Cottage" it keeps coming up, I just saw it for the first time and loved it as I have a soft spot for 1940's supernatural themes. You and your pod host have chemistry Poseidon. Thanks for the link

Poseidon3 said...

Hi Kevin! I'm glad you listened to and liked the podcast. I was actually just thinking about Judy Garland yesterday because Bob Mackie was discussing her (referring to her as a "mess." How original...) and described her as being 4'11." It made me wonder if she was destined to be that short or if all the pills LBM and MGM funneled down her throat as a youth caused her growth to stunt! There are a fair number of people who described Judy as spoiled, childish, impossible, etc... and they're probably right, but it didn't start out that way! I cannot tell you why, but I generally enjoy Barbara Bel Geddes, though I confess I have a very difficult time imagining what she must have been like in her signature stage role of Maggie the Cat. I just can't wrap my mind around it somehow!

Hey, Gingerguy, thank you for your kind remarks and reflections. I still think I was subpar on this one, but maybe a few gems sneaked in. LOL I think when I saw "Behind the Candelabra" it was prior to getting to know Cheyanne on "American Horror Story." I'm sure I'd know him now. He also recently popped up on "RuPaul's Drag Race!" Thanks and have a great holiday!

Forever1267 said...

I found your blog while Googling "The Poseidon Adventure", so thank you for that. IT's one of my favorite movies, too!

You sound fine on the Podcast. Happy Pre-Anniversary in August!

Poseidon3 said...

Thank you, Forever1267! I'm glad you found us and I enjoy your comments on this post or that. :-)

sm said...

I found out about your blog from the podcast and I subscribed right away because you were hilarious!

Poseidon3 said...

Oh, smichael, thank you so much! You're too kind. I'm glad you enjoyed the podcast and glad you swam over to Poseidon's Underworld. I think you ought to be able to find something or other here to peruse that will entertain you! There are nearly 700 posts now! :-)

P.S. - You'll be happy to know that I recently recorded a second installment of True Stories of Tinseltown, this time with a celebrity guest for half of it. (But I think it's the second half that winds up being the most amusing, especially if you find my goofy ass funny...!)