Friday, June 30, 2023

Poseidon Quickie: This Really Took Some Balls...

Eight years ago (really that long?!) I did a little tribute to the rather obscure 1970s game/sport show Celebrity Bowling. Some of the photos from that post were snapped off my kitchen TV (!) and, thus, the quality was extremely poor. Thanks to the ever-inviting Tubi, many of the shows episodes are now available for viewing (free with ads) and they are easier on the eyes (and in some ways more revealing.)  Seen here is host Jed Allan, who always talked up that episodes foursome of guest bowlers (and the woman just behind him certainly seems thrilled...!) 

I actually bought a DVD eight years ago with quite a few installments of this show on it, but was dismayed that it didn't include the one shown here. On the left are Julie London and her husband Bobby Troup from Emergency! On the right we have Chuck Woolery and his wife JoAnn Pflug. Right from the get-go I could see a hint that I was going to like these jeans on Chuck. (My original caps were so blurry I mistook them for slacks!)

Lantern-jawed Woolery was cute as could be and, though they eventually split, he and Pflug made an attractive couple.

At this time, Woolery was best known for his work as the host of the original Wheel of Fortune. His letter turner was Susan Stafford and together they got the ball rolling on a show that remains a huge hit even now. (Albeit, this was the daytime show. The enduring version is the syndicated program which began in 1983.)

Handsome, genial, rubber-faced Woolery was popular with fans (the show had a 44 share!), but departed in 1981 when salary requests that he felt were comparable with the ratings (and with other well-paid hosts' salaries) weren't met.

Thankfully, he landed on his feet before too long. He hosted the popular dating show Love Connection, which ran for eleven seasons. The easily-tickled host won over a whole new raft of fans with this show and continued on to various other game shows thereafter like Scrabble, Greed and Lingo.

But back to the matter at hand... I could not believe my eyes when I finally got a good look at this episode of Bowling from 1975.

Typically clad in suits for Wheel, he showed up for the day in the most eye-popping faded jeans fathomable.

As I say, this took some balls... Ha ha ha!


Sometimes it difficult to choose between looking at that smiling face or the skin-tight torque of those trousers...!


He was in good form that afternoon.

He surely did better than my beloved Lee Meriwether, who went ass-over-tit down the lane during one of her turns on the show...!!! LOL

Till next time!

11 comments:

Gingerguy said...

I lived through bowling in the 70s, sure was popular. Right over my head though. You'd have thought Joanne would have changed Pflug, but it sure is memorable. Woolery too!

WizzyWig said...

Chuck was so sexy in those pics. I always loved his handsome mug, booming, yet gentle voice and calm manner. So I was bummed when I found out he was a big loony Trumper a few years ago. Perhaps this is why lovely JoAnne pulled the plug early? She saw what was coming? I loved Jed Allen too. He and Deirdre Hall were the It Couple before Luke + Laura took over the world in 1979. He was sexy and could really rock a ‘fro! Good times.

Dan said...

The bell bottoms! Plaid suit pants! Spread collar shirts! Cowl neck sweaters! What a time capsule. Chuck does indeed look tasty here, and perhaps a bit chafed.
Back in the 80s went bowling with some friends. We were thrilled if any pins got knocked down. A guy showed up on the lane next to us - matching shoes, bag, gloves, and ball. He gave us a “Now your gonna see some real bowling” look, made his approach - and forgot to let go of the ball which shot straight up, knocked out a ceiling tile, and came crashing down! We were in tears laughing. He just packed up, and got out of there.

joe said...

Hi!
Long time viewer, first time commenter.
I am absolutely gobsmacked at just how diminutive the late, great Julie London is/was!
Love her!

Shawny said...

That is quite a handful, P. Maybe both hands. I watched that episode a few years ago and am currently puzzled as to why I didn't notice it. But CW was never on my radar, with such a bland personality. I wasn't a big Love Connection fan. The bowling show had a lot of bad bowling with celebrities grumbling and trying not to appear too embarrassed. The Brady Bunch kids episodes, I think I remember a lot of gutter action and tongue biting. But the episodes with comedians had some fun moments.

joel65913 said...

Hi Poseidon,

I have never quite gotten the appeal of Woolery. Like John Davidson he seems to be carved out of cream cheese and about as deep as a puddle. His allure was not enhanced upon discovering he is a staunch Republican. Those pants though are something else! Ah the blessed state of men’s fashion in the 70’s!

I do however adore Jo Ann Pflug!! There for a while she was ubiquitous on series television and along with the Barbaras-Rhoades & Feldon and Susan Saint James was distinctive enough to stand out from the interchangeable crowd of Laurette Spangs, Sian Barbara Allens and Ronne Troups that cluttered the landscape. Whenever I saw any of their names (or Lee Meriwether as well-that tumble! Embarrassing more than harmful I’m sure!!!) in the credits I knew there would be at least one worthwhile piece of whatever show they were guesting on. Wish she had pursued her career longer.

Ptolemy1 said...

Sorry it took so long to comment on this! LOVE. I found said episode and man oh man. I loved how near the beginning Woolery shifts his stance back and forth, he's SO conscious of those pants! Amazing that it's 1971, didn't audiences all across the country drop jaws? I can't get over how much vintage tv and movies have this kind of thing in them. As the old joke goes you can practically see what religion he is. Thank you so much for this!

Steve S said...

Michelle Lee posted on Instagram a picture of her on Celebrity Bowling. I didn't realize the show feautred couples. She was mairred to James Farrantino, not sure if he was on it with her.

And who knew Chuck Wollery was packing. Now I know why he was always so happy.

Poseidon3 said...

Gingerguy, you're so right about the challenge of a professional name like "Pflug" in the 1970s. Somehow she got by, though. (For a time, anyway...wonder what she's been up to!)

WizzyWig, Jed Allen seemed very sensuous to me as a kid when he was on "Days" - probably due to his being part of a supercouple - and it was a surprise to find out later that he'd previously been a regular on "Lassie" as an innocuous park ranger! BTW, in the Lee Meriwether pic, sitting in a chair behind her, is a long-haired Gloria Loring, who was eventually Liz on "Days!"

Dan, that's hilarious about the big "pro" bowler. So many sitcoms have mined the bowling alley for plotlines. Naturally, one of my faves was on "The Golden Girls" when their competitive spirits took over! I recall "The Flintstones," too, which was about how I bowl (heading down the lane with my hand still in the ball! LOL)

Hi Joe! I think Julie was 5'2-1/2" She does look small here, though perhaps the host and competitors were extra tall this time? Thanks!

Shawny, it could be a let-down to watch "CB," BUT... I am so fanatical about bizarre combinations of celebrities that I had to at least check each one out to a point. (One episode has the quartet of Adam West, Roy Rogers, Kent McCord and Gary Collins... while another has Rose Marie and Morey Amsterdam versus Donald O'Connor and Rosemary Clooney! It's like the bowling alley on The Love Boat. HA HA!)

joel65913, as I mentioned above, I'll have to see what Jo Ann is up to as of late. One day she was just no longer around...! I have met Lee Meriwether TWICE but both times were before I saw her trip down the lane shown here or you KNOW I would have asked her about it or ribbed her... Ha ha!! I dared to bring up "Cruise into Terror" to her, so there's no question I would have done it. She was so terrific to meet.

Ptolemy1, it's no wonder I just LOVED television as a kid. Ha! But, really, I didn't notice things like this much at the time. It was only with grown-up eyes that I began to really pick up on it. Early "Charlie's Angels" eps had more that "jiggle TV" happening - many of the bad guys/suspects had clingy polyester trousers on. I think that's what got me taking notice...!

Steve S, I'm almost certain that Michele and James did "CB" together. They would have a number of personalities show up and then film episodes that mixed the competitors all around. But I seem to recall them together (I just looked and they were a team for Season One - Ep 16. Jan 1, 1971! The ep is apparently available free with ads on Freevee, through Amazon.)

joel65913 said...

Poseidon I too was curious about Jo Ann after reading this so I did a bit of a web browse to see what she was up to.

She's been married to her second husband for the past 35 years and is apparently high up in Savannah, Georgia society. She also does motivational speeches but I couldn't discover for what exactly. She was and may still be a born again Christian and one of the photos that came up was her posing with Newt Gingrich....once I saw those two items I stopped researching for fear that any more knowledge in a deeply Republican direction would sully my memory of her and I like her too much for that!

JustinAjax said...

Wait what? Jo Ann is here in Savannah? I grew up here and never knew that. I’ve always loved her appearances on Match Game - wish she would have slapped the crap outta Brett for some of her mean-spirited comments. I think Brett was jealous of young, attractive women.