Tuesday, February 21, 2023

Poseidon Quickies: Rinsing Off Some Trail Dust

In the comments section of a recent post, the anachronistic costuming of some 1960s TV westerns was mentioned. I particularly cited the wild example of one Robert Wolders of the 1965-1967 series Laredo. One day, while watching it on an over-the-air channel in my kitchen, I wondered if I'd actually seen what I thought I did! One of his get-ups was just that eye-popping. As seen here, Wolders (who only appeared in season two of the show) wasn't always shown in something crazy. The most arresting part of this black outfit is the pin on his ascot. 

But trust and believe... it wasn't always this benign. The handsome Dutch actor, who portrayed the show's dandy ladies' man, would soon enough be appearing in some wild outfits. If he seems familiar beyond his ten-year acting career (from 1965-1975), it may be due to his position as husband to Merle Oberon and latter-day companion to Audrey Hepburn.

The colorful jacket he's sporting here is more indicative of the ensembles he modeled while working on Laredo.

Wolders was one of those actors whose prominent brow sometimes cast a shadow over his eyes, so it wasn't always easy to see those baby blues, but I managed it here. He also tended to generate a wide variety of expressions which tended to distort his brooding good looks.

Seen here with his costars: the hunky William Smith, cutie-pie Peter Brown and craggy Neville Brande - He indeed wore some crazy shit on the western series. But if you'll note the title of this post, you'll see that his clothing isn't even actually the purpose of my musings here today. I just wanted to give you that little bit of colorful background.

While on a mission with his fellow Texas Rangers, Wolders heads to a cantina where he is familiar with the proprietor.

...or perhaps I should say proprietress! Omnipresent 1960s TV guest star Barbara Luna plays an old acquaintance of his, though she's not 100% sure that their reunion is going to be a smooth one.

But he turns on the charm...

...and soon enough it's just like old times.

He's invited back to her private chambers. Meanwhile, his buddies are out in the sagebrush swallowing sand and hot air. Eventually, they've had enough and come looking for him.

What they discover when they find him is startling. He's enjoying a luxurious bath!

The trio can hardly believe their eyes when they come in from the choking desert to find their cohort leisurely washing up.

That's hardly the end of their surprises, though.

He's got the curvaceous Luna seeing to his every need, even rinsing him off with a pitcher of warm water...!

We're of the firm belief that no TV or movie western is complete without a nice, hot bath amid the proceedings.

As you can see, the typically duded-up Wolders looks every bit as good out of his clothes as in them!


And to our delight, we even get a towel shot as the sequence wraps up.

Brown seems to approve, too!

And that's a wrap!

If'n you'd like to see this episode in its entirety, it's available for viewing in a pretty good print right here.

6 comments:

Gingerguy said...

I wonder if she used a hot branding iron to get that flip do? His costumes look like they came from Party City, how bizarre. I wouldn't have made the connection to the man that became the companion of Merle and later Audrey. I think he and Merle may have made a film together? Good eye as always Poseidon!

hsc said...

I didn't watch LAREDO during its original run, but caught it later in syndication, along with THE WILD, WILD WEST. I haven't seen more that a snippet of LAREDO since the late '70s, though.

Since I only had eyes for William Smith back when I was watching, I had actually forgotten about Robert Wolders even being on the show!

So, I'm grateful for this post focusing on those hilariously flamboyant getups he wore (how could I have forgotten that?) and that bathtub scene, which leaves me stunned I didn't remember him. He's got kind of a Paul Newman thing going there.

Thanks for making me take a good look at him and think about him as something other than "companion to Merle Oberon / Audrey Hepburn!"



But to be honest, even *now* I find my eyes riveting on William Smith (and trying to get inside that beaded plunging neckline in that buckskin shirt) in every framegrab he's in!

(Trivia note: a recurring character, "Linda Little Trees," who was similarly obsessed with Smith's "Joe Riley," was played by the late character actress Shelley Morrison at the start of her career-- just before playing the language-mangling "Sister Sixto" on THE FLYING NUN and decades before her best-known role as "Rosario" on WILL & GRACE!)



Thanks for yet another great post, Poseidon! Love to all and be safe and well, everyone!

(And R.I.P. Raquel Welch and Stella Stevens.)

Brad said...

Wow, colorful costumes. Nice looking man.

The front door looks Brady Bunch to me.
As always enjoy the posts.

Poseidon3 said...

Gingerguy, yet more stringent period detail when it comes to Barbara's hair...! LOL (She changed her name several years ago to BarBara, but I denote her as she's billed for the ep.) Robert and Merle made a movie called "Interval," which is hard to locate. But I do have it on VHS, watched 'round the clock by two armed Pinkerton guards...!

hsc, I think Wolders was very nice looking, but in all honesty, I could barely steer my eyes away from Smith either...! As I was loading the pics, his very smooth and snug trousers were so appealing. He and Brown had a nice rapport going during this show. It's not really my kind of show (a little too comedic - I go in for heavier, "Stanwyckian!" drama), but it has its rewards. Towering Phil Carey played the men's boss and he went on to considerable success as Asa Buchanan on "One Life to Live."

Brad, I swear I almost made a similar crack about the entryway to Luna's pad! It reminded me of a bachelor pad you'd see in a Tony Curtis movie or something...! Ha ha!

joel65913 said...

Laredo is one I never watched but I'm familiar with Wolders from his Merle & Audrey connections. I have seen the hard to locate "Interval" and it was fascinating for Miss Oberon's participation but middling otherwise.

Wolders was most definitely a looker, a bit of a cross between Michael Landon and James Drury and if that spotlighted costume is a sample of how they duded him up he must have been eye-catching for his ensembles alone. I'll have to see if the show is running anywhere and check it out.

Shawny said...

Wolders is handsome, but not beefy or hairy enough for my taste. :) maybe older he might excite me. I'll have to Google him.