Friday, December 4, 2020

Poseidon Quickies: Go "Big" or Go Home

All but forgotten now except by historical literature enthusiasts, A.B. Guthrie Jr's 1947 novel "The Big Sky" (one of a series of books about The Oregon Trail and the settling of Montana) was made into a 1952 feature starring Kirk Douglas. Douglas was already emerging as a key Hollywood actor despite having only begun making movies half a dozen years prior. He had been Oscar-nominated for 1949's Champion (losing to Broderick Crawford in All the King's Men) and would be nominated once more for another of his 1952 films, The Bad and the Beautiful (this time losing to Gary Cooper in High Noon.) Ironically, his third 1952 film was called The Big Trees and, like in The Big Sky, his character was also named Jim. A third nomination for Lust for Life (the one he really felt might bring the little gold man home for him) was lost to Yul Brynner for The King and I. That would have to suffice until his 1996 Honorary Oscar.

Director Howard Hawks settled on Douglas for his leading man after attempting to get the too expensive Marlon Brando. I have no recollection of any scene such as the one depicted on the poster (with a shirtless Douglas brandishing a tomahawk) though perhaps it has just faded from my memory. Virile Douglas does, however, seem to have trouble keeping his shirt closed.

Also on board was Underworld favorite Dewey Martin (in a role first offered to Montgomery Clift, who'd made an impact in director Hawks' Red River, 1948.) See Dewey dreamily looking out at... the big sky? Ha ha! We've always thought that Martin was cuter in live action rather than in posed publicity shots such as the ones here.


You can see and read a lot more about Martin right here.

 

There is a love triangle in the film, involving Douglas, Martin and Elizabeth Threatt. Now based on her glamour girl makeup on the film's poster, many may think this was just another case of a Caucasian actress being decked out to look like a Native American, but it actuality, Threatt was half Cherokee. Hawks came across her during her career as a model and cast her, with plans to utilize her further. Unfortunately, she declared Hollywood full of fakes and promptly left after this single movie.

This is a rather rare color publicity portrait of Martin and Threatt. One can see that the poster art was derived from this session. Reportedly, Threatt and Douglas became involved in a romance during the film shoot, though I don't know if he was one of the "fakes" she was referring to in her parting comments on Tinseltown.

Douglas and Martin, seen here with their guns out, looked to have the better chemistry if we are going by the still photos and shots from the actual film...
Don't believe me? How 'bout now? (I love Dewey's plunging neckline...)
 

Kirk was at his blondest during this one, I think. Love Dewey's expression.

Here's a "nip slip" from Douglas in the wake of a bar fight. I truly think this was all the shirtlessness he provided in the film. However, he did manage to give us a glimpse of some other physical characteristics of his.

You know, ol' Kirk was no stranger to showing off his physique. In pics like Spartacus (1960) as seen here, he could strip down to basically briefs. Other movies of his provide scanty clothing such as Ulysses (1954) and There Was a Crooked Man (1970), in which he briefly flashed his rear. But he tended to be packed in snugly and rarely revealed any discernible bumps or bulges. So that's why The Big Sky was a bit of a surprise at times (one particular time especially.)



But even in these tight-panted shots, you still can't really make anything out. Thus, I give you further evidence.

In this final sequence of shots, Douglas is seen with Arthur Hunnicut, who was Oscar-nominated for the film (losing to Anthony Quinn for Viva Zapata!) The cinematography was also nominated, but the award went to The Bad and the Beautiful, also starring Douglas.




As you're doubtless aware, I tend to keep an eye out for things like this, even as I am enjoying a vintage piece of cinema. I don't recall another Douglas film (although I am now old an failing! LOL) being this demonstrably bulgy. (Even The Story of Three Loves, 1953, in which he was a trapeze artist!)

Lastly, this was one of the films that Ted Turner hideously "colorized" back in the 1980s (some VHS packages back then contain a disclaimer about it), but this is an actual color photo of how he actually looked at the time on set.

10 comments:

jobj69 said...

Hey there, Poseidon! Hope all is good with you and that you had a nice Thanksgiving.

Loved this intro to Dewey (for me) and the link to your earlier post on him. I didn't realize that he was in The Thing from Another World. I will have to go back and rewatch that - though I think I would prefer to see him in his wardrobe from The Big Sky...or even better, from The Land of the Pharaohs! lol...

I think the color photo of him and Threatt is classic. With those shiny leather pants, plunging fringe shirt and slick wavy hair, he looks like the perfect Tom of Finland man...

Thanks again, and take care!

Andrew said...

I love your blog! I have purchased so many DVDs by your recommendations and they’ve all turned out great too bad I can’t find big sky anywhere at a reasonable price. It looks great.

joel65913 said...

I liked this film but considering the subject matter, the title and the major leading man heading the cast I found it odd they went with black & white. It's one of those films that just screams out for color.

Kirk was not shy about stripping, at least to the waist and often much more bless his heart and Dewey was a very handsome man. There are better Westerns out there but this is a decent watch with plenty of eye candy for a rainy day.

Gingerguy said...

I almost had put colorized movies out of my mind, hideous. That actress is beautiful and good for her, I wonder what the rest of her life was like since most of think of movie stardon as the ultimate dream. I like Kirk, he is a scenery chewer and game in anything. He stayed very physical in his later films too, I recently saw The Fury from 1977 and he had a bathing suit scene in that. if you want to see more campy Big Sky watch the ABC Tv series that just started set in Montana. What a hoot.

Poseidon3 said...

jobj69, Thank you! I had a four-person Thanksgiving, which was quite pared down from the usual 9 or 10, but it was nice enough. Dewey Martin first came to my attention through the little-known boxing flick "Tennessee Champ" with Shelley Winters. If you see that pop up on TCM, you might give it a shot. But "Pharaohs" is a hoot! You can't go wrong with scheming Joan Collins and then Dewey in his Egyptian bikini. LOL I also loved the pic of Elizabeth and him.

Andrew, my gosh! I didn't realize I was inspiring DVD sales like that! I am quite relieved to know that you don't consider them wasted money....! I always feel like I have such low-grade taste. Ha ha ha!!!! I mean, one of my cherished favorites is "Dinah East" fer cryin' out loud! Thank you so much. I hope you continue to enjoy the things I write about here. :-) There's a version of *moderate* quality here if you're able to access it. In checking it out, I found a shirtless moment with Dewey @ the 1:14 mark.

https://ok.ru/video/973537348098

joel65913, I have to say this would have been more striking in color and its b&w status probably caused it to slink into further obscurity than it might have otherwise. Sometimes I think we've turned a corner as a society and can again enjoy b&w more than, say, in the 1980s, but some folks may never get there. I enjoy color myself, but can appreciate some razor-sharp b&w cinematography as well. (Good Lord... can you imagine someone colorizing "Psycho?!")

Gingerguy, I was so close to mentioning "The Fury" but didn't! Only Kirk would be engaged in gunplay on the beach in a speedo at his age! Ha ha! Good on him. I think he also had a flash of rear nude in "Saturn 3" cavorting with Farrah Fawcett? He is not a BIG favorite of mine, but I do appreciate his drive to do more than just common flicks. He wanted many of his films to mean something and reflect a human outlook ("Jacqueline Susann's Once is Not Enough" withstanding!)

joel65913 said...

Poseidon, I love black and white films (I'm a huge noir fan and loathe colorized films) and always have....but some films, particularly Westerns that are meant to be sprawling just make more of an impact in color with those breathtaking vistas. I'll still watch but often it can take me out of the film while I'm thinking "They really should have shot this in color."

Shawny said...

Yeah, Gus Van Sant colorized Psycho. Remember that awful irrelevancy?

Poseidon3 said...

Joel, agree completely! As an example, did you ever happen to see the Warner Brothers TV series/special hosted by Gig Young all about "The Searchers?" It looks totally different in black & white, as the show was presented. Color helps make it stunning to look at.

Shawny, I was like the first person to see that HIDEOUS remake. Julianne Moore was my favorite actress, Chad Everett (!) was in it and I loved Viggo even then. But it soon became apparent that it was basically nothing but an awkward experiment that was not particularly enjoyable or entertaining..... Fun to see Viggo from behind at least.

Dan said...

Just saw "The Thing" last week. Such an entertaining movie, and Dewey is as cute and charming as a guy can be. Funny about Kirk Douglas but, for all his physical attributes, he never did anything for me. Maybe because he so often seemed to take himself so seriously?

Poseidon3 said...

Dan, I also have no interest in Kirk "that" way, though certainly legions of women did. (I feel the same way about Michael!) But I attempt to be an equal-opportunity bulge presenter. Ha ha! Thanks.