Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Please Stand By!

You know we're forever complaining about not having enough time in the day to accomplish all we want to, but this time it's really hit a fever pitch! Not only am I smack dab in the middle of a three-week run of "A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum" (portraying Captain Miles Gloriosus), but I haven't been able to take off even a moment of work, my 50th birthday occurred this past Saturday and tomorrow I've been enlisted to sing at my annual work convention, at which I always put in overtime hours! So it's beyond nuts.

All this happens to be going on just as we have reached our EIGHTH year in business (so to speak) at Poseidon's Underworld. So it's doubly frustrating that I cannot shake loose any time to prepare a special post to commemorate the occasion. However... I do expect to have quite a bit more time on my hands once this show has closed on August 27th. In fact, I may even be bored for a while, considering how much time it has taken to prepare for.  Please be patient. I'll be back very soon! In the meantime, a couple of pics of your webmaster in action on stage as well as some close-ups taken in a very sunny stairwell which afforded some Hollywood-style lighting!

Gloriosus arrives to claim his bride (while exclaiming all his own virtues!)
Gloriosus still telling the world through song just how wonderful he is...
Mistaking a high-born Roman lady for a much-used courtesan
Bemoaning the "death" of his bride (who at this point is a male slave in drag, in order to pull the wool over his eyes!)

Back with more Underworld shenanigans soon!

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Wonderful pictures. Thank you for sharing. I hope you had a Wonderful Birthday.

Johnny C said...

Wonderful photos! Happy Birthday and thanks for all your years doing this wonderful blog!

Gingerguy said...

Poseidon, you provide comedy tonight and all day here at the underworld. I love these pictures, that is one great costume. You reminded me of those "Please Stand By" announcements at the end of the broadcast day, back when a day actually ended. Now no rest for the weary(or you for that matter). Thanks for all these great blog posts and good luck with the rest of your show.

Poseidon3 said...

WonderPrincess and Johnny C, thank you so much for the birthday greetings and for patronizing P.U. (<-- LOL)

Gingerguy, I wanted to use some of those old show "bumpers" - the photos with the name of the show and often the network on them that would pop up on screen around the halfway point, but I just couldn't seem to find any (or many) that I liked. After this Sunday I will finally have a skosh of free time coming to me! Thanks!

Chris K said...

Happy belated birthday, and thank you for the awesome blog - always look forward to the updates! On with the show!

Forever1267 said...

Helloooo, Emperor Hunky Bear!!!!!!

http://ricksrealreel.blogspot.com/ said...

Poseidon, good luck on all your endeavors, and we'll all still be here the morning after ; )

Cheers, and Happy Belated Birthday!

Rick

Ken Anderson said...

Hi Poseidon! Wanted to wish you a belated Happy Birthday!...and to say you couldn't ask for a selection of more thrilling reasons to be swamped for time! Congrats, the photos look great, and "Forum" is one of my favorite shows. I'm sure you slay 'em!

VictorG said...

Love your blog and wish you many happy returns! You are so witty and well-versed about the important things in life and I hope you find as much happiness in the year ahead as you have brought to your readers. Cheers!

Martin said...

Hot Legs!

Poseidon3 said...

Thank all of you SO MUCH, again, for your kind remarks and birthday wishes! It was a successful run, personally and for the theater (this was the third best overall attendance percentage in the group's 50-year history.) I was swamped with friends bearing cards, gifts, flowers and so on. And the convention went extremely well, too, with my songs and jokes landing effectively. There was a backlog of work afterwards, though, and so many household chores to finally get to. Now I can look forward to more time immersed in my pop culture faves!

BTW, Martin, my legs were the subject of some behind-the-scenes tusseling. I know, and knew, that a Roman warrior ought to have shin guards (there's a name, but I was too harried to look it up!), but the ones the costume company sent over (the night before we opened) were pale tan (at odds with the browns and golds in my breastplate, arm cuffs and shoes) with three HUGE peach-tone, velcro straps that went 'round the back of my calves and had leftover bits flapping in the breeze! I truly looked like one of (the late) Jerry Lewis' kids from the telethon...!! Any store-bought ones were even worse when it came to matching up. Finally, it was decided that I just go without as my legs were deemed strong and appealing enough to be seen in all their glor(iosus!) LOL