Monday, August 10, 2015

Thrown for a Hoop!

Jeesh, it's always something isn't it? There are days when I wonder if the gods are trying everything in their power to prevent Poseidon's Underworld from continuing. I came to work last Monday and was informed that we were going to be getting an entirely new operating system. We did. And on top of it, we received monitors that are almost 50% wider than the old ones. So what this meant was that a) somehow in the crossover, a fair amount of my saved photos were lost (?!), b) the monitor is too large for me to "hide" my screen from view as I always could (this is work, after all) and c) I no longer have "Paint," a program which I relied upon heavily to create many of the photos I put forth here such as this one and this one.  Aggravating!!

All last week I wanted to post to this blog, but it was so difficult to learn how to navigate my new system with the keyboard doing different things than it used to and then an avalanche of problems came pouring in, meaning that I was here late every evening doing work-related (egads!) drudgery instead of having the time I'm used to for putting things together. It's still up in the air as to how much I will be able to accomplish now.

Anyway, there WAS going to be a photo essay all about stars sporting hoop earrings, but for reasons unknown, a lot of the photos bit the dust during the changeover and I cannot retrieve them. So this is one of my briefest posts of this type in ages, but I wanted to at least check in since it's been a while.
Angela Lansbury (in what appears to be a colorized shot.)
Janis Paige
Audrey Hepburn
Marilyn Monroe in Niagra (1953.)
Natalie Wood
Dyan Cannon
Nichelle Nichols as Lt. Uhura in Star Trek (1966-1969)
Alyssa Milano
Olivia Newton-John
On the male side, Ray Milland in Golden Earrings (1947.)
Another pose from an uncharacteristic-looking Milland.
And finally Guy Williams in Captain Sinbad (1963.)
~~~~~
On a side note, we lost a couple of celebrities recently, one being Frank Gifford. If you want to see him in his prime and learn more about him, I suggest you take a look at my tribute to him from a few years back. 
Then there was country singer Lynn Anderson, once of "The Lawrence Welk Show" before embarking on a career all her own. This clip doesn't show off the long mane of blonde hair she was known for, but I loved the up-do and the frilly dress she's wearing.  Til next time, Poseidon!

6 comments:

http://ricksrealreel.blogspot.com/ said...

Thank you for all your hard work! It's much appreciated ; )
Rico

Anonymous said...

Great pictures; Dyan Cannon looks even more beautiful.
I hope there is a way for you to retrieve the missing photos.

Unknown said...

Hey, I feel your computer pain. We got new computers and I have been trouble even commenting to your posts. I can imagine how hard it must be to actually do the postings. Maybe someone here can help you out, not sure.

Anyway, Ray Milland looks strangely alluring (for him) in his pirate drag.

Gingerguy said...

Poseidon, nothing freaks me out more than computer issues, I always feel so powerless. I have no doubt you will prevail. LOVE the Dyan Cannon photos. No better way to start my day. I have seen the Ray Milland movie, and remember thinking it was strange. There is a shocking scene in the gypsy camp where he and Marlene Dietrich eat fish. She is disheveled and spits out fish heads. It's the equivalent of watching an actress of today strip off the makeup and get real. This post reminded me that I used to wear a hoop in the 80's!

joel65913 said...

Hope you smooth out your computer transition soon! Nice collection of pics. Janis Paige looks positively deranged in hers. A wonderful picture of Marilyn from Niagara, those hoops really suited her. Those snaps of Ray Milland are from the suitably named Golden Earrings, apparently he and Marlene loathed each other. She thought him a prissy fool and he found her too earthy for his tastes, during that fish head scene she kept a fish eye in her mouth and when she was turned from the camera looking at him opened her mouth and grossed him out to the extent that he was violently ill.

Thanks for keeping us up to date!

Poseidon3 said...

Thank you so much, everyone, for your encouragement and support. I'm still working through this horrible changeover. You would not believe how hard it is to deal with photos... AND the program I use to WRITE the posts will not work correctly either (nothing "saves"), so I've had to really jump through hoops to try to get anything done. That said, I do have a post in the works and hope to get it on here by tomorrow. Thanks again, my friends!